Chapter 20 : The Unexpexted Twist of a Hero's Fate

Life is a precious thing.

You don't know when you'll lose it, and you don't know what will happen in life. Everyone's fate is different, and eventually, all things, good and bad, come to an end.

That's what Percy realised as he dies 600 years after he expected his death. There he was again, playing the pawn as the hero of the gods. But this time, it was his choice. To forgive a family that was once his.

Percy POV
Dark was all I saw. I fully expected to die, and I really didn't mind. After all, what is a hero's story without a tragic ending?

People say a hero's life is a fantasy, being recognised as everyone's saviour. But that's just the surface. What people don't see are the tragic stories and fates that followed them. The bad side of being a hero.

I never wanted to be one, yet I was pushed to be one. And if they expect me to be ahero, then I'll be a hero.

But now in death, I can't help but wonder. Where am I going to go in the afterlife? Would it be the heavens of Griffaxlyne, or the magical depths of Neblós? Or will it be Elysium or an Egyptian afterlife?

My questions were soon answered.

My world slowly shifted into a dark cavern, with a rotting wood door being across from me. I went to the door and grasped the rusting handle, making the door creak. I didn't care. What did I have to lose? My life? Because I'm already dead.

Light enveloped me, until I was on a path, and ahead of me the path split into 3, each leading to a familiar location, with familiar looking people standing in front of them.

Those were the places where the stones were kept, and it was the Three Keepers.

They all smiled at me, bowing on one knee. I was about to tell them to get up when another being with multicolored wings slowly landed in front of me and greeted me.

The Hidden Keeper.

I bowed, unsure of what to do.

"Rise. You have done well Shattered Phoenix. Or should I say, Perseus Jackson?"

I rose slowly, wincing slightly at my old name.

"It's ok. I understand." The Keeper smiled at me softly. I relaxed slightly, but I still felt tense.

"You proved yourself from time to time again. Even before the live of an Assassin, when you were a mere hero on Earth, you impressed us with your skill and loyalty. Now, it's time you were gifted with a power that could only thank a small portion of what you've done for this Universe. May you be crowned the Guardian of the Mythical Stones, and the Universe."

The four keepers began to chant, and light enveloped my vision once again.

3rd POV
The battlefield was soon quiet as the last monster was slain. Cheers began to ring through the air, before they noticed a heavy air between the Olympians.

"Mom? What's—" Piper stopped short when he saw a body in Chaos' arms. It was a male, wrapped in a cloak, a sickly gash in his side. He was pale, and the cloak he wore was staining red with flecks of silver and gold. But the hood was lowered, and the seven recognised the jet black hair with a  grey silver streak in the front.

"Percy!" At this, Adrianna whipped around so fast and her face drained of colour, shoving the shocked seven aside and running to where the fallen body of her brother in everything but blood and crumpling at his side. She let out an anguished wail, ignoring everyone around her who covered their ears.

"Is he—". The Olympians could only grimly nod. Poseidon was in tears, and the rest either looked guilty or shocked. Chaos had tear tracks down his cheeks, only able to stare bleakly at the dead body of his potential lover.

No one spoke.

Everyone lowered their heads and bowed. In apology, in respect, and grief. No one could believe it.

Just when they found out Percy was alive, he died in their arms. Slipped away like water through their fingers.

But suddenly, Percy's body began to glow. Emitting a bright blue light, they saw 3 streaks of colour escape from his fingertips, lifting him in the air and spinning around him. Then, all the blue light concentrated into a beam and wrapped around Percy.

Everyone watched in amazement as Percy was wrapped in a cocoon of light. The colors spun faster, until Percy was nothing but a flash of light. Everyone flinched and looked away from it.

When the light finally died down, everyone noticed that the wound was sealed shut, and underneath the skin was 4 specks of light, shining and twinkling brightly. Percy was back in Chaos' arms, looking like he was sleeping.

He was just sleeping.

Then Percy took a breath and opened his eyes.

Chaos POV
Percy opened his beautifully heterochromic eyes and stared right at me.

"Cha—?"

I couldn't help it. I smashed my lips angainst his.

And he returned it.

His lips were chapped, but tasted like a tropical smoothie and like the sea.

It was beutiful.

Percy POV

Chaos, the creator of the Universe, is kissing me.

I couldn't register this, and all I cared about was kissing back. It was sweet and soft, and tasted like honey.

Cheers and hollers could be heard, but I didn't register anything at all.

I smiled softly and broke apart.

Maybe hero's fate can be twisted, after all.

And I could have a happy ending.

Maybe fate wasn't as cruel as I thought.

But I knew things were going to be much, much different and happier from now on with my new lover.