Challenge for Dallas

Published on February 10, 2015

Youtube Video Transcript:

Hi everyone! Adree here with Embrace Femininity. I'm really glad that Dallas decided to continue with #GirlsShitToo. Mostly because I cherish our conversations.

Dallas, I'm really glad you sent out your latest set of tweets, because dresses rule!

I was wondering this week if Dallas just has an aversion to all things feminine. I don't think these things suck; I think girls spend time and money on their appearances because it gives them confidence, and confidence helps them function well in society.

Then later I was looking at Dallas in English, and I realized a few things: she wears mascara. She might even wear face makeup. And I'm pretty sure she straightens her hair, too. She also wears tight jeans that accentuate her feminine curves.

So, Dallas, if you really want to prove that failing to do this stuff will make you less vulnerable, then by all means, do it: let go of your femininity, Dallas Delaney. All of it. I challenge you. And me and the rest of the world will be watching to make sure you don't slip up.

And yes, this means no makeup, no shining and straightening your hair, no wearing a bra, no plucking, no shaving. Maybe you should cut off your hair. 

So here's the best part of this vlog.

Viewers: we're going to spend this week challenging Dallas to let go of her femininity. Tweet her @DallasDelaney to encourage her to participate in this challenge.

I'll say it one more time, for emphasis: Dallas Delaney, LET GO OF YOUR FEMININITY.

____________________

In front of the school on Thursday, I sat on the lawn with my Smartphone, watching the end of Adree's vlog again. 

I frowned at Adree's pretty face. "I'm glad she's encouraging everyone to harass me."

"Oh, it's all fun and games," said Alex.

Benny nodded in assent. "And now you can see that everyone agrees with me: you need to go full butch," said Benny. 

"See, everyone agrees with me: you need to go full butch," said Benny.

"As I've said before, I'm not cutting my hair."

"It's because she's afraid of looking like a boy," Dylan snuck up on us. "She wants to hold on to some of her femininity." I smiled at him as he sat down, because it was awesome he'd been talking to Alex and Benny more often lately, like he'd done when they'd all planned the pep rally fiasco together.

"Benny," Dylan said, looking at Benny's hands, "Why are you wearing nail polish? Is this because of Adree's vlog?"

"Well, I found out that when I do 'research' with nail polish, it looks like someone else is doing it. It's better that way, especially since I'm the only participant and the only observer."

All of us, except Dylan, cracked up laughing.

A look of confusion covered Dylan's face, who obviously didn't understand what Benny meant by "research," but when we stopped laughing, he asked Benny, "You're doing a paper on free college, right?"

"Yeah. And I keep getting Cs on my weekly paper updates and reflections. Last week I got a D. Brooks is being way harsh with me."

"Maybe that's because you don't do anything," I said.

"I'm really interested in that topic," Dylan interrupted, "and I'm pretty good with econ, even though Harber hates me and looks for every excuse to dock points on my assignments. I might even do my final paper for his class as a case study on a country that offers free college. I can help you research, if you want."

Alex started laughing. "Trust me, Dylan, you don't want to help him 'research.'" He did an air-quote gesture for emphasis. "Or maybe you do? Is Benny your type?"

Confusion overtook Dylan's face. "Um, no..." Once more, the joke was completely lost on Dylan, but I nearly inhaled a piece of apple laughing.

"Anyways," Alex continued. "I can share my own research with both of you. College is free in Finland, and I was thinking about talking about that in my next Tumblr post. Why don't we all research together? And I mean research research, not Benny's kind of research."

"Sounds good!" Benny said. "I need all the help I can get."

Even though Dylan didn't understand the distinction between the two types of research, he put on a smile and said, "Sure!"

Dylan, Alex, and Benny, researching together? The revelation stunned me a little, and I felt this weird feeling, a deep appreciation for the moment. So often in high school I just wanted to look forward to the future, to college and my career and non-platonic relationships, but right then I realized that moments like this were fleeting, and I should enjoy them. So I smiled and took it all in.