End Slut-Shaming

It seemed like the worst reactions I was going to get were from the guys in the hallways, and I thought those were over, but Wednesday, some guys on Twitter started banding together to put down some of their own ideas in "Girls Masturbate Too":

Henry Bored @H_Henderson

Girls who are horny and masturbate are freaks and sluts.

Lee Halvard @LeeHalvard2432

Yeah @Dallas Delaney sounds like a total slut

Galvin G @123GalavantingGalvin

@Dallas Delaney must be pretty loose if she uses dildos all the time!

Dennis Hepler @Dennis_the_HEN

Vaginas ARE dirty. Especially ones that have had lots of visitors, toys and fingers included.

Quinn Lesley @QLesley

@Dennis_the_HEN this status is crap. What about penises that "make a lot of visits" or whatever?

Dennis Hepler @Dennis_the_HEN

@QLesley Penises are easy to keep clean

Dennis Hepler @Dennis_the_HEN

@QLesley &U know what they say...a key that can open a lot of locks is a master key, but a lock that can be opened by a lot of keys is a shitty lock

Lee Halvard @LeeHalvard2432

Wonder how many keys aka sex toys @DallasDelaney has

Helena Fanta @HF1207

Ladies don't and shouldn't talk about this kind of stuff.

Apparently those ridiculous guys were all Adree needed to inspire her for her next vlog. I was wondering where she was going to take the masturbation conversation, and I wasn't disappointed.

End Slut-shaming

Published on April 20, 2015

Youtube Video Transcript:

This is Adree with Embrace Femininity.

I think we all enjoyed Dallas's vlog about masturbation this week, with the exception of some boys today who decided to call Dallas a slut for being open about her private life. One guy at my school even decided to share that stupid quote about how a key that can open a lot of locks is a master key, but a lock that can be opened by a lot of keys is a shitty lock. Meaning that guys can be sexual and even sleep around and they are viewed positively, you know, as "master keys" or whatever, but if girls do it, they are slutty.

First of all: why are girls called sluts, like, all the time? You hardly ever hear guys called sluts, and when you do it isn't a bad thing. For girls, "slut" is such a dirty word. Did the guy who called Dallas a slut know anything about her or her sex life aside from what she's shared with the public? I don't think so. No girl deserves to be called a slut.

And that analogy about the girl's vagina as a lock is the stupidest analogy I've ever seen. This double standard for girls and boys really needs to end.

Men are allowed to be their natural sexual selves and it's normal, while women aren't. Women are accused of not "being ladies" when they do verbalize their sexual urges, while men are just acting like men. It isn't fair, and it needs to change.

So let's end slut-shaming! Whether girls are open about their masturbation, or they're sexually active, or whatever, they don't deserve to be called sluts, especially when boys aren't subject to the same criticisms.

* * *

"Thank you for defending me," I said to Adree the next day.

"You're welcome. But, I'm sorry to say, it wasn't just for you. It was for girls everywhere. Me included."

"Will you accept my apologies for calling you a slut that one time?" Valerie snuck up from behind us, and my eyes widened in confusion at what she'd just said.

"It was more than one time," Adree responded. "But yes."

"I'm being sincere," Valerie said, her face stern. "Boys use that word to put us down. We should never use it to put each other down. I can't believe I ever used that word."

Adree smiled. "No worries, Val." They hugged then, and it lasted a good twelve seconds. I wondered why Valerie had called Adree a slut, but asking felt intrusive.

After school, Dylan and Eric and I went mountain biking on the Crystal Road, one of the Crystal Shore's coastal trail systems.

Since all of my friends who rode mountain bikes with me were guys, they always went faster than I did (reminding me of Adree's vlog about how men and women are different. Fine Adree; maybe you were a tiny bit right). So after four miles of trying to keep up with Dylan and Eric, I finally caught up to them at the Crystal Road Lookout, where they were drinking water and eating protein bars.

The two of them appeared to be in the midst of a conversation.

Dylan was telling Eric, "Girls flock to you!"

"Some girls," Eric retorted, casting me a glance. "I did make it to home base with Trish Regali the other weekend."

Still out of breath, I managed to huff out, "Really?"

"He's not a virgin like we are," said Dylan, and I felt slightly embarrassed. "Not since...when?"

"Freshman year," Eric said, proud.

"Wow. We're behind," I said to Dylan.

"We're not behind," he said back. "It isn't a race."

I knew, logically, that Dylan was right.

But the whole way back to the trailhead, I felt like the race was on; and of course, I came in last.