A Proposal

Prom Proposal

Published on May 18, 2015

Youtube Video Transcript:

First of all, I wanted to say congratulations to Dallas. Her #DownWithTheDresscode movement, along with the petition she inspired me to start, caught the attention of our local news station, who reached out to our school for comment, and our principal was forced once more to surrender. I'm pretty sure he hates us for putting him in the spotlight twice now and illuminating the sexism underlying his policies and traditions, but I'm glad he's making positive changes for the school, and I hope he learns to be happy about it.

I hope that at prom we don't only see girls like Dallas at prom in pantsuits; I hope we see some dudes embracing their femininity and wearing dresses! Let's take Dallas's #DownWithTheDresscode movement even further, and show the public school systems that we can express ourselves however we want to, that our genders are not defined by clothing! That dress codes shouldn't be founded on sexist thinking!

Okay, so I know I normally do my videos focusing on topics about embracing our femininity. But this week, I was inspired by Dallas's thoughts to appropriate masculinity. I've come to appreciate her thoughts on how it isn't fair that men are always the one who get to lead and take charge. Something that I've never liked about being a female is that it's considered weird for me to be the one who asks someone to a dance, for example. Why can't I ask someone to prom just because I'm a girl?

So, Dallas: now that we know you're going to prom since you're allowed to wear a pantsuit, I wanted to ask you: will you go with me?

* * *

Adree completely surprised me by asking me to prom on Youtube, since my hopes were nearly dissolved. A whole bunch of buttheads ruined it for me on twitter beforehand, tweeting spoilers all over the place.

Neat Pete @Who_is_pete_23

.@AdreeSchmadree_dancer just asked @DallasDelaney to prom!!!

Dallas Delaney @DallasDelaney

DUH OF COURSE I WILL, @AdreeSchmadree_dancer!!!

Bada$$ Benny @BennnnnnnnnyB

In affirmative consent, u should say "yes" and not "of course" @DallasDelaney

Dallas Delaney @DallasDelaney

Shut up @BennnnnnnnnyB

Dallas Delaney @DallasDelaney

.@AdreeSchmadree_dancer Does this mean I get to kiss you some more?

Adree Richards @AdreeSchmadree_dancer

OF COURSE @DallasDelaney

Simone @FreshOutofParis

What do you mean by "some more"? What's been going on behind the screen, you two?

Adree gave Benny some confidence, apparently, because he tweeted Sydney with a proposal, which was weirdly romantic:

Bada$$ Benny @BennnnnnnnnyB

@Sydney, prom & pedicures?

Sydney Reicher @SydRBaby

Yes please!

Right after that, I got a text from Benny and Alex.