More Vlogger's Remorse, Ugh

The reception to "Make Up Your Minds, Girls" was mixed. Some people, mostly dudes, completely agreed that women are too indecisive.

Even Chad called out Valerie, which started a little feud between them:

Chad Anderson @ChadAnderson_CrystalShore

.@VVDevant U take FOREVER to decide on what to eat. Every day. And shopping with you is hell #MUYML

Valerie Devant @VVDevant

@ChadAnderson_CrystalShore Don't get me started...at least I take time to think about my decisions. Unlike you. Impulsive.

Chad Anderson @ChadAnderson_CrystalShore

@VVDevant When am I impulsive?

Valerie Devant @VVDevant

@ChadAnderson_CrystalShore When you overeat. When you want to go to sporting events but you have homework.

Valerie Devant @VVDevant

@ChadAnderson_CrystalShore When you eat mushrooms even though they give you horrendous gas. Should I go on?

But a lot of people completely disagreed with me:

Nikki Anderson @NAnderson_northernazuniversity

Thanks for perpetuating stereotypes about "the indecisive woman" @DallasDelaney

Cleo @brownies_1990_78

Way to call out your mom...you 2 must not have a very loving relationship

Gloria Estavan @Glorious_Gloria_E

.@Dallas Delaney here you go again helping men to oppress us women by condemning us as indecisive (1/2)

Gloria Estavan @Glorious_Gloria_E

True, they think it's because of our biology which is different than what you said, but you're still helping them (2/2)

I had another case of Vlogger's Remorse (though not as bad as the first), because once more, I had sided with men.

* * *

During lunch on Monday, Alex and Benny tried to convince me that my vlog was just fine.

"You're right, though. Girls always take like twelve years to make up their minds," said Benny.

Alex nodded in agreement, so Justine hit him. "Ow!"

"Sorry babe," Justine said to me, "But I disagree with you. We don't take too long. We take more time because we're smarter, and more meticulous, and nicer. Why do I spend a long time shopping online? So I can find the better deal. Why did I spend a long time doing my hair this morning? Because I care about the way it looks, because people treat me better when I look nice. Also, my hair takes like ten years to straighten, which isn't my fault. And when I take too long to suggest a pizza topping, it's because I want to ensure that everyone who's sharing the pizza with me is happy with the toppings. I'd rather feel everyone out to see what they want and not choose the topping I want, because if I make the suggestion first I might make everyone feel like we have to have it on the pizza, you know? I'm a people pleaser. I'm nice. But I don't need to make up my mind, or whatever."

"Okay, you're right, you're right. Hit me," I said, offering up my shoulder. She did, and harder than she'd done to Alex, which I deserved. I rubbed what felt like a forming bruise, wishing my self-inflicted punishment had been more fulfilling than it felt. "I should've just made a vlog about prison bras."

"Prison bras?" asked Alex, intrigued. "What's that? Some kind of BDSM bra?"

"Any bra. They all feel like prisons."

"True that," agreed Justine. "My favorite time of day is the time that I take off my bra."

"Oh, that's my favorite time of day, too. Except, you know, when I do that," said Alex, and Benny gave him a high five.

I rolled my eyes. "TMI."

Later in English, Adree and I exchanged short-lived smiles, but I could tell that behind those brown eyes she was composing a vlog that would expose more of my misogyny to the Youtubeverse. She would show them I was continuing to condemn femininity where it didn't deserve condemnation. And I knew I should just let her.

* * *

The next day I went to lunch with Dylan, who also called me out for my vlog. "Dallas, you haven't even picked a major!"

"Well, life decisions carry more weight than outfit decisions," I said, but I knew I was a hypocrite. Yes, I was one of the most indecisive people I knew, still no closer to figuring out what I wanted to do after graduation.

"You would think that you would want to spend your off-time figuring it out. What do you want to do?"

"I don't know. I haven't told anyone, but I got accepted into Cal State. Still have no idea what I want to study, though."

"I got into Cal State's education program," Dylan smiled.

"Dude, congratulations! Are you gonna go there?"

"I might just go to community college first," he said. "You could do that too, you know. Give yourself more breathing room to think about what you want to study."

I took a deep breath right then and thought, and decided to tell him an idea that had been playing out in the back of my mind. "After mine and Justine's successful short film, I was starting to think maybe I could study something that would lead me into being somehow involved in the production of films. Screenwriting is fun. Too bad that's the only experience with the filming world I have."

"That would be cool."

"But it sounds like a job a million people want. A job I might never have a chance at getting. That's why part of me wants to go for a safer job, like Valerie. I was thinking about majoring in software development or something, so I can create things that will make the world a better place. I don't know much about coding now, but there's no time like the present to start, right?"

Dylan nodded, smiling, drumming his painted fingernails on his chin. "See, you've got more going for you than you give yourself credit for."

Yeah — maybe I did. "But I still haven't decided."

"And maybe that isn't such a bad thing," he said.

No, it really wasn't a bad thing, so I nodded at him, knowing Adree would probably help our viewership come to this same conclusion on Wednesday night.

I was right.