Ch 15

You must have walked for miles, the forest seeming to stretch for an unfathomable length, terrain rugged and mostly untouched by mankind. You had only occasionally come across bones, skeletons of animals or hikers that had gotten lost, or victims of the murderers that resided out here. You had yet to come across another living being, it feeling as though it were just you and the endless expansion of vegetation that lay before you. You questioned  if you were walking circles, got turned around, were perhaps just walking deeper, or maybe - subjectively the most absurd - had been brought to a whole new world, but regardless of your mind and deteriorating sanity, you held the gun tightly in hand and pushed onward. After hours of walking you eventually came to a stop and sat down against a tree, your soaked clothes sticking to your body and the mud soaking into your pants. 

You felt gross. Nevertheless, you were too tired to persist and were in dire need of a good rest. Closing your eyes you laid your head against the rough bark of the tree, letting exhaustion set in as you drifted to a deep sleep. You don't recall any dreams occuring before you were awoken again, but when your eyes had finally opened once more it was to the sound of a rustling of a large creature. Your hand that still laid on the stolen firearm had immediately tensed to grip the gun tightly once more, your pointer resting just below the trigger guard as your eyes scanned the vegetation carefully. Had Tim found you, or was it the hooded male finally catching up?

No, as it darted past it became clear this thing was too fast to be Tim, and much too quiet to be the hooded male. No this was something different. Was it even human? You stood quickly, the gun going out in front of you for protection, the barrel still aimed to the ground and your finger not yet reaching the trigger. Your leg threatened to buckle as the still bleeding wound sent pain coursing through you. This creature must have been attracted by the smell of your blood. 

The weeds before you began rustling loudly, and slowly from its cover crept a sickly pale human like creature with long, spear like fingers protruding from its hands, its face looking as though it had been melted, tiny beady eyes glaring from sunken sockets and rows of inhumanly sharp teeth lining its mouth behind melted lips and torn flesh. Its body was little more than skin and bones, limbs mangled in ways that forced this creature to stand on all fours with a wide stance, its stomach looking bloated like that of a corpse that had sat too long in the sun. The sound it emitted - a sort of gurgled, struggled groan that sounded almost as though the beast were mocking a growl and the foul scent of rot that seemed to burn as it filled your lungs had you frozen in place, unable to lift your arms and take aim. What was this beast? You could only stare in disgust, horror, and confusion as your body refused to move. Only as the beast ran for you, leaping in the air with its claws aimed at your throat had your arms flung into reaction, your finger pulling back the trigger that fired a single bullet from the barrel and right into the beasts head.

The creature collapsed in a puddle of black, sludge like blood, the overpowering smell of something that should never be possible filling your lungs, leaving you hacking and gagging as you desperately covered your mouth and nose, stumbling away from the creature. You had only gotten so far when you heard the corpse beginning to move, fear settling in as you feared how this creature was still able to stand. The loud, ear piercing screech was what had put your legs in motion, adrenaline pumping through your veins as your legs pushed you forward as fast as humanly possible. You had to get away, but you knew that wasn't possible in the state you were in. You didn't have to run long however as you soon found yourself falling down a steep hill, rolling and bouncing along rocks and sticks, being torn by protruding roots and sharp stones. The last you saw was your head bouncing off a paved road and two bright lights headed straight for you.

Woah, two chapters less than a month apart?! Is this a miracle?! Nope, just got excited to write again. 765 words. Stay safe and creepy, Kai out!