Chapter 5

"Hey! Wake up!"

This was the first thing Bill heard as something slammed into his head and caused him to jolt up. The object that had hit him fell into his lap, and looking down at it he noticed it was a pillow he had been hit by. He tilted his head in confusion before looking up at the one who had thrown it at him with a small frown.

"Was that really necessary?"

"Yes, very much so. Didn't know how else to wake you. You said you didn't like to be touched. Now come on- it's 2 in the afternoon-"

"2 in the- do you think this situation is funny? That you can just procrastinate on helping me?! I have places to be, small towns to get out of! And here you are letting me sleep half the day away!"

"Yes, I'm aware. But when I passed out, I didn't exactly have an alarm clock or a charged phone to wake me up any earlier. Because if you recall: there was a power outage last night that had been caused by none other than the dream demon before me."

Y/n walked over towards a switch on their wall, going to flick it to prove their point that the power was still off, but the lights within the living room seemed to flicker for a moment before brightly lighting up the room. It appeared that during the night, the power within the town had miraculously returned. Due to the light suddenly filling the room, Bill's eyes squinted shut and he fell back yelping, not used to experiencing such a bright light just yet with these new eyes of his.

"It burns!" Bill screeched, covering his eyes with his hands.

Y/n stared down at him, blinking slowly before grinning widely. They couldn't help but find this hilarious. The "great and all powerful dream demon" could easily be taken down by mere light. Oh, they were going to get a kick out of dealing with him. Though, they hoped they wouldn't have to deal with him for much longer if they could figure out a way to get him past the barrier and out of this town. And then it would be the world's job to deal with him, not theirs.

"Huh... Better get used to the light now, or you're not going to survive when we head outside," they chuckled, walking over towards the front door to bend down and get their shoes on.

Bill growled at their laughter. How dare they laugh at him. How dare they?! This was absolutely humiliating. It's not his fault that he was having to get used to a whole new body that hadn't originally belonged to him up until last night. He had to get used to everything again: how to walk, talk... and now he had to figure out how to adjust his eyes to bright lights. Becoming a meatsack was the last thing he wanted to become when he was reincarnated, but it's not like he could really complain. At least he was alive, that's what really mattered.

He slowly removed his hands from his eyes, trying to reopen them once again but they wouldn't open very far and he ended up just squinting while staring up at the ceiling light. So bright. So very bright.

"It might help if you don't look directly at it," he heard the human speak up, causing him to roll his squinted eyes before turning away from the light source and looking over at Y/n.

With his eyes no longer staring right at the light, it was easier to open them up a bit more without his eyes feeling like they were on fire. Blinking away the blurriness of his vision to begin focusing on what was ahead of him, it was then that he realized he could actually see what was in the room, as well as to finally be able to see what this strange townsperson finally looked like.

He already knew what their eye color was, but now he could see their facial features, hair color and length, as well as the color of their skin. He didn't actually care all too much for their appearance, but wanted to at least get an idea of what they looked like just so he didn't end up losing them in a crowd later. They seemed to be wearing fairly comfy clothes: a simple hoodie and sweatpants with a pair of sneakers that they had finally finished putting on. It looked like they had woken up and threw on the first thing they spotted in their dresser. Still, nothing really noteworthy to mention. It was just another human to him.