Chapter 19

TW: Mentions of dead animals

Dreams.

Dreams are strange, are they not?

One minute you are awake, your thoughts racing and you are, for some reason, thinking about the most random and embarrassing moments from your childhood because you still cannot get over the fact that you actually ended up doing that one embarrassing thing.

The next, darkness hits you.

Suddenly you are in a place you no longer recognize, or maybe you do, and the story that is taking place before you is so absurd and yet your brain does not try to comprehend it but instead accept the weirdness that it brings.

Dreams can fool you sometimes, making you believe that what you are experiencing is really happening until you are awoken by your alarm clock and realize your day has yet to truly begin.

Dreams can make things that are so strange and out of the ordinary make complete sense and you no longer question why that fish wearing the top hat is talking to you, telling you that you are some kind of savior that is going to change the world for the better.

Dreams can sometimes seem better than the reality that you live in and you wish with all your heart that you never end up waking up but instead stay here forever in your perfect fantasy world.

Dreams can fail to fool you, and now you are in control of the story that your brain has created for you.

Dreams can be a gateway to unlocking memories that have been lost or forgotten within the subconscious, opening them back up to you so you can remember what you did not know you had lost in the first place.

Dreams are strange.

But Bill doesn't dream.

He's said it before and he'll continue to repeat himself until people finally begin to listen:

Dream demons don't have dreams. Dream demons don't have nightmares. What they experience when they close their eyes are merely memories that are resurfacing. Nothing more. It's simply to keep the mind busy and preoccupied until the body is ready to wake up and begin to move around once more.

That's all.

Though, if that was all of it... and there was nothing more to it than that- Then why was it that when Bill closed his eyes and went to sleep, he was seeing memories that he did not recognize?

It was happening way more often now and it was becoming harder to ignore. Someone else's memories were colliding with his and for some reason he was watching their entire life story being played out. Why, though? Why was this happening to him? What made things even more confusing was that Y/n seemed to be in all of these extra memories. Whoever's life story Bill was looking into seemed to know Y/n personally.

His first thought was that maybe he was looking at the memories that belonged to whoever used to own this body before he was reincarnated into it.

But if that was the case, wouldn't Y/n have mentioned the fact that he was in the body of their old friend or something? Wouldn't they recognize his face as having belonged to someone else?

"Hey, thought I might find you up here," his body spoke for him, looking down at a much younger version of Y/n sitting on top of a roof of some random house with their knees tucked into their chest.

This wasn't a dream.

But it also wasn't a memory that Bill possessed.