Chapter 21

(If you haven't in a while, I'd suggest re-reading Chapter 20 before going any further. Maybe even all of Season 1 again— but only if you are digging into the lore and don't want to miss out on solving the mystery~)

Everything changes so quickly. Time moves on too fast. It's hard to keep up with everything going on.

Just the other day, everything was perfect.

He had a home, one he felt safe in with all the food he could eat and clothes to wear. He had a roommate that he was just beginning to trust with his life and started to call a friend. A real friend. How great was that? A friend he could talk with, hold hands with, and get hugs and platonic kisses from. He felt so comfortable with them because he could be himself and they still kept him around. They liked his jokes, his games, and his sense of humor. They liked him...for him.

But then everything changed. It all happened too fast, much sooner than he would have liked it to.

That safe haven he thought he once knew was lost to him. He lost his home and the one person he thought he could call a friend. Had they really been a friend, though, or had they just been playing him all along? All this time, they were constantly reminding him that he was safe and would not get hurt only to turn around and stab him in the back when he least expected it.

Now he was all alone.

He was all alone again.

He needed to go somewhere, find somewhere to stay.

It was late, it was cold, and it had started to rain. His plan was to just steal a bench at the park or something, but with it raining as heavily as it was he didn't want to stay out and soak the only clothes he now had. He had to find some place to stay, and there was only one other place he felt safe enough to be himself.

He rang the doorbell. When nobody came, he started knocking on the door in a rapid manner. It was freezing outside and he was soaked from head-to-toe.

Finally, the door had slowly begun to push open. Finally, someone decided to greet him. And finally Bill Cipher spoke, having said nothing since he called Y/n L/n out for what they truly were:

A liar.

"Bill? Honey, you haven't even touched your food," the gentle voice spoke out, sitting beside him at the table.

He was now fully dry. He had been given access to their bathroom to take a hot shower and was given a fresh pair of clothes. The clothes were too big for him, but he didn't mind. He preferred the loose articles for now.

Bill sat there, staring down at the bowl of hot soup that had been prepared just for him. He couldn't bring himself to take a bite, though. He didn't feel like he deserved it. He fidgeted with the bowtie around his neck, contemplating something over and over in his head.

"Hey, you feeling alright? You know, if there's anything you want to talk about, we're here to listen," another voice said, the one he had gotten his new clothes from.

Bill finally raised his head, staring into the eyes of two concerned humans wishing to comfort him in his time of need. Did he deserve their sympathy? Did he deserve care or kindness from others? He thought he did. Y/n made him believe he did. But now...

"I...want to talk to you. I want to explain everything to the both of you, after all you've done for me— I'm just not sure... how. I feel like I should start from the beginning, but I'm afraid you'll hate me once I begin telling you the truth. The truth about who I am. The truth about what I am."

There was a pause. Bill took a deep breath in, letting it out as slow as possible to try and calm his nerves. He then opened his mouth and went to speak up once more—