Chapter 20

This was not how this day was supposed to end.

The day had started off so great.

Why did things have to end this way?

~

"Bill?! You ready to go yet?"

"Yeah! Hang on- stupid shoelaces came undone again," Bill called from his room, sitting on the edge of his bed while retying his shoelaces for the sixth time that week. Due to him trying to work in a hurried manner right now, he kept messing up the knot and the strings would end up falling flat against the floor in a loose mess. He groaned in aggravation, about ready to burn these shoes with fire. Why was tying a simple knot so complicated?!

"Dude, I told you if you just double-knotted your shoelaces then they wouldn't be coming undone so frequently," Y/n said, leaning against Bill's doorway with arms crossed and shaking their head in disappointment.

"It's hard enough trying to tie one knot and you expect me to be able to do a double-knot?!"

"Would you like me to help you tie your shoelaces?"

"...Yes please."

With a small laugh, Y/n entered the room and walked over to Bill's bed. They knelt down on the floor, taking his foot and propping it on their leg before beginning to work on tying the double-knot. Bill sat there patiently, resisting the urge to kick his legs while waiting for Y/n to finish. He knew it wouldn't take long and once they were done helping him out, they could both leave and head out for the day. To where? Why— to Destination: Funation, of course! They planned to spend the entire day there and play laser tag, mini golf, go-karts, and all the arcade games within the building. To think they had such a cool place here in Mercy and Y/n was only now telling the dream demon about it! How dare they keep such knowledge from him?! At least they were going now. That's all that really mattered. Though... they weren't going entirely alone.

"You sure it's cool for me to tag along? I wouldn't dare want to crash you and your boyfriend's 'date'."

"Geez, Bill, I told you already: it's not a date. Originally it was just going to be Claire, Ruby, and Matthias hanging out together. But then Claire called this morning asking for a ride and if I would be willing to tag along. It's not a date. Just a last minute 'hang out' plan."

Bill huffed, rolling his eyes. "Sounds to me like he's using you more than wanting to actually hang out with you."

"Yeah... Yeah, it does."

Bill paused, blinked, then looked down at Y/n. "Hang on— Did you just agree with me that your boyfriend was being a piece of crap? I didn't know I fell into a different dimension while I was asleep."

This earned him a small slap to the foot from Y/n as they finished double-knotting his right shoe. And in response, Bill laughed giddily.

"It's just-... a lot of his actions and words towards me lately have been... concerning. I don't know why he's been acting so weird recently. Not just to me, but to a lot of others as well. "

"Really? So he hasn't always been a total jerk that tries to make everyone around him feel like they are less than him on the daily? Could have fooled me."

Y/n paused at the sarcastic comment Bill made, thinking to themselves for a moment before sighing and going back to working on his left shoe. "As far as I know, he's only just now started to act this way... kinda around the same time you arrived. I don't know if he's just jealous or what but I'm getting tired of him guilt-tripping me and making me feel awful. My plan was to talk to him once we got to the arcade, pull him aside and just... y'know... chat. Maybe we can figure this out, or maybe we can't and it'd be better to just break things off. Honestly, that's... probably the route I plan to take anyhow. I mean, I'm all up for working on a relationship and trying to fix things but I think the best thing to do for myself right now is to break things off with him... But hey- even if that happens, at least we'll be at an arcade to distract me with my awesome dream demon by my side." They finished tying his other shoe, placing his foot back on the floor and looking up at him. "Of course- if you don't want to go, that's fine. Just say the word. Ruby is going to be there and after the last time you saw her-... well, it's just that I understand if you're uncomfortable tagging along. I don't want to force you to come with me if you would rather stay as far away from Ruby as possible."