Chapter 26: Who's underneath

A/N: So. Here we are.

The chapter I have had in my brain for nearly five months. Also, I started this book six months ago on the 20th?? Gracious me.

Anyhow! THIS chapter, specifically, I have been waiting to write for ages. I am genuinely excited to share this with everyone.

Enjoy

Horror gave a dissatisfied growl as Erratum came to collect him from his universe. He couldn't tell what was wrong, but he could sense the other's discomfort with their keen senses. Erratum looked a little uncomfortable with how close Horror was, but the monster didn't seem to notice or care. "Glasses." He rumbled curiously as he took them in, tilting his head a bit as Erratum touched the frames at their mentioning.

"Yes I, ah, have to wear these." Erratum explained while Horror gave them a suspicious glower. "Why? Didn't... need 'em before." He questioned the other expectantly. Erratum gave a heavy sigh as the other continued to pester them. "Okay, okay, but don't get too angry." They insisted, which only made Horror narrow his eyes with a low level of rage already. "I went to speak with Ink and things got out of hand. He blinded me with his paint, but I'm certain it was an accident. He didn't seem to be in his right mind." They held their hands up placatingly as Horror bared his teeth in outrage. "It's fine though, I'm fine! I can see just fine with them on, okay?" They insisted, but Horror didn't seem too satisfied with this answer. Erratum sighed as they allowed Horror to squeeze them tightly, willing to deal with the scrutinizing of their body for further hidden injuries. Things would be so much simpler if they could just make people listen. Often, it felt as though the multiverse was too precarious to leave in the hands of others. If we controlled-

Erratum closed their eyes calmly as the voice swelled away, compartmentalized down where it should be.

"Everything... okay?" Horror frowned as the god refocused their attention on him. "Of course, just a little loud today." Erratum excused, which seemed to satisfy the lumbering monster. "Don't...push yourself." Horror gave them a narrowed-eyed look as he said this, earning a quiet laugh. "I'll do my best, but I can't promise anything." They swiped their hand and parted reality for him, seeing the distant land of Farmtale in the rift. "Are you ready t-"

Erratum had turned their head to look at him when their eyelights suddenly extinguished. Horror looked alarmed as the rift closed and Erratum fell back into the snow underfoot. The universe shook a moment, causing Horror to hunch over and shield the god with his body. He had no idea what was happening, but Erratum was wailing and seizing under him in distress. Horror snapped his head up with a feral snarl as a bright light and a pair of new souls appeared near them. He relaxed his posture as he saw Blue and Cross standing, or attempting to remain standing, with their weapons drawn.

"What's going on?!" Cross demanded as Horror remained positioned over Erratum. "Don't know! Just... started screaming... everything shaking and..." Horror attempted to explain, eyelight wide and body tense. Blue touched Cross's shoulder with wide eyes. "Last time this happened, those universes collided." He informed grimly, causing Cross to tense up significantly. Horror didn't understand what they were talking about, but a direct call to his soul distracted him.

"Nightmare..." Horror informed as the world stilled once more. Blue nodded in understanding as they all helped the dazed god up to a sitting position. "Go, before he comes looking for you." Blue encouraged. "We've got this handled." Horror seemed hesitant, but knew he couldn't stay much longer without risking the negative spirit poking around in his world looking for him. He growled as he darted off toward his home, letting Blue and Cross help Erratum back to their plane. Erratum grunted with pain as they held their head, trying to ease the throbbing sensation so they could properly deal with this new problem.