skating

IT WAS now morning, and the three teens were getting ready to go out. they were going to 'rink-o-mania', a roller skating rink that the two siblings had been to once for joyce's work party. and it was the 22nd of march. will's birthday. nobody had given him any form of gifts, or even a simple 'happy birthday!'. he wasn't going to bring it up. besides, birthdays were for kids.

after they got there, el hadn't stopped lying. saying that she 'went to parties here often with her friends'. it was all bullshit. they hadn't made any friends. none. they only had each other. she even claimed that angela was her friend. oh yeah, because friends embarrass them in front of the class, or step on their school projects. eleven and angela were practically 'besties'.

i'm kidding, of course.

will had tried to bring her up on it, but she just ignored him, and carried on with her pathetic lies to her boyfriend. she was the one with that stupid rule anyway: 'friends don't lie.' over the years will had learnt that people lie, and you just have to suck it up, let it happen. there's no point in trying to make people better when they're nothing but stubborn and cruel. he wasn't sure where this mindset came from, but he continued with it nonetheless.

the three teens had finally got onto the rink, mike and eleven cutting will off through their soppy hand-holding. he was third wheeling, as usual. right there and then he wanted to cry, bury himself somewhere where no one could ever find him again. somewhere he could hide and run away from his problems. and that's when everyone suddenly disappeared. 

the lights continued to dance around the rink, but there was no one in sight.

''mike? el?'' he called out. ''MIKE?'' no response. it was almost as if he was back in the upside down, just without the vines and weird noises. he became more and more frightened as the lights began to flicker, causing his head to pound and eyes to tear up. they began to grow a dark shade of red rather than the blinding, bright colors they previously were. the silence was piercing his ears and his breathing became unsteady, whilst his hands grew clammy and his heart was beating rapidly. he had no clue what was happening. all he knew was that he wanted it to stop.

''WILL!'' mike practically screamed. will's eyes returned to normal, and his eye lids were no longer flickering open. he fell to the ground, his body attempting to adjust to the sudden change.

''hey, hey will. look at me.'' mike tried to catch will's gaze, but he couldn't reach it. he put his hands up to will's cheeks and forcefully turned his head to meet his. ''hey.'' he smiled, glad that he hadn't totally lost will to whatever that was. will was still shaking, and sweating like crazy.

''i need you to breathe, okay? in and out with me.'' mike began to breathe steadily, in the hope that will could copy, and start to calm down. which, luckily, he did. will was positive this was the first time mike had made comfortable eye-contact with him. will nodded his head to signal that he was okay, and he saw mike let out a sigh of relief. 

''what was that?'' eleven asked, a worried expression plastered across her face. mike didn't even glance at her, rather, he kept his focus on the smaller boy.

''we need to get you home, can you stand up?''

''i'll just go sit down, you two carry on.'' he didn't want to interupt their little 'date'. besides, he'd rather mike not ask him a ton of questions he didn't know the answer to.

''no will, we need to get you-'' mike began, but he was soon cut off.

''just leave me alone, mike!'' will yelled, pulling himself up and racing off the rink, tears forming in his eyes.

boys don't cry.

he took himself to a 'staff only room' to hide, and he couldn't care less whether he was supposed to be in there or not. his mind was racing with thoughts. that was defintely upside down related, no matter how much he didn't want it to be.

''i can't do this again.'' he mummered, covering his eyes to stop his tears from spilling. he was sick of it, sick of being dragged into this alternate dimension shit. he was done. he wanted it to be over. he wasn't even in hawkins for crying out loud! ''happy fucking birthday to me.'' he whispered softly.

and he just stayed there. stayed crying into his sleeves until jonathon and argyle arrived to pick them up. mike and eleven couldn't find will, no matter how determind they were. they had checked every table and bathroom stall. every corner and inch of the rink, but it was hopeless. mike didn't even talk to eleven, he couldn't. 

about an hour later, it was time for them to be picked up, so the couple headed outside to see a familiar yellow pizza van awaiting for them.

''where's will?'' jonathon yelled from the vehicle.

''he's uh.. on his way.'' mike replied. he hoped he was on his way. it was a matter of minutes before will showed up, his head low and sleeves drenched.

''what took you so long?'' argyle asked.

''misplaced my shoes.'' will shrugged. once again, mike tried to grab will's gaze, but this time, it was hopeless. the boy tapped his foot against the bottom of the van in worry. until he decided to speak up:

mike leaned forward from his seat. ''hey, are you okay?'' he whispered so no once else could hear, other than el perhaps. will just shrugged in return, focusing on keeping his breathing steady.

he was panicking. he thought he was done with his supernatural bullshit, but maybe he would have to go through what he did two years back: everyone constantly looking at him like there was something wrong with him, or like he was going to break at any moment. mike leaned back in his seat, allowing will some space.

how did the upside down reach will in california?

author: i don't know how to feel about this chapter - especially since it was kind of rushed. thanks for sticking with it lmao.