painting

THE CAR journey quiet, no one really spoke. everyone was too scared or worries to even open their mouths. and will knew each and every one of them were burning holes into the back of his head to check he hadn't gone into those weird episodes again. 

''so what's the plan for when we actually get there?'' mike asked, breaking the awful silence.

''try to figure something out i guess. save will.'' jonathon answered from the passenger seat at the front of the van. ''will, you okay?''

''yeah... yeah fine.'' he answered. he was not fine. how could you be 'fine' when you know your death os lingering around the corner, getting ready to jump out at you at any given moment. it was a stupid question. ''what if we don't figure anything out?''

''we will.'' mike placed his hand on will's. ''we will.'' he smiled.

''i still don't have my powers.'' eleven spoke up.

''well, hopefully we won't need them.'' jonathon said. god, he hoped they didn't need them.

''and if we do?''

''we'll get through it. we always do. don't we?'' jonathon reassured the kids, hiding his own distress and worry. after the short conversation, eleven fell asleep, and jonathon and argyle had switched seats. argyle was now asleep too, and jonathon was driving.

''hey... uh mike?'' will said quietly.

''yeah?''

''can i- can i show you something?'' he asked.

''yeah, sure.'' mike gave a small smile. will reached down to his feet and pulled out a peice of rolled up paper.

''here.'' he said, avoiding eye contact with mike. mike took it hesitantly, giving will a small curious side eye. he slowly unraveled it to reveal a beautiful painting of two young boys: one with brown hair, styled in a familiar bowl cut, and the other with jet-black hair and curls. 'crazy together, right? love, will.' was signed off at the bottom of the painting. mike couldn't help but smile.

''wow, will this is incredible! did you paint this?'' there was almost a sense of disbelief in his voice. he knew will could draw and paint, but as good at this?

''yeah. i mean, it was just supposed to be a stupid gift for when you arrived. i'm sorry if it's too soppy or something-''

''will, i love it.'' mike smiled. ''what made you paint this in particular?''

''well, do you ever get that thing where you just remember random moments for no particular reasons?'' mike nodded in response. ''i had that. and i just remembered when i was possessed how you, mom, and jonathon were trying to help me. you were telling me about the first day we met and i don't know, i just thought it would be a good idea to paint it as a gift.''

''i never meant anything i said that day. you know that right?'' mike laughed.

''what?''

''the best thing that ever happened to me was you going missing. you know, when i met el.'' he continued laughing. the laughing grew louder and louder and deeper and deeper until will's entire surroundings changed. he was no longer in a car, much rather in a feild.

''see? this is much more fun than drawing and doing all those girly things!'' an older man exclaimed. lonnie. a smaller boy was in front of him, holding a bat. they were playing baseball.

''dad, come on, he doesn't want to do this!'' jonathon called out from behind the younger boy.

''come on, will! hit it!'' lonnie yelled as he threw the ball. rather than hitting it, will missed completely. a look of disappointed became plastered across lonnie's face. ''you stupid queer! can't you just fucking hit the ball! it's not difficult!'' he yelled, coming towards will, holding the bat above his head, ready to hit the younger boy. but rather than hitting him, the scene changed. this time lonnie was facing him.

''look at you. pathetic. lost to a curse, huh? guess you really are as weak as i remember.''

''this isn't real!'' will called out, trying to save his sanity.

''does that matter?'' lonnie transformed into a larger being, with a deeper voice. the being looked as if he was made of vines. ''you're time has come to an end, will.''

''WILL!'' mike yelled, awaking the boy once again. mike's breathing was heavy and panicked. ''will are you okay?!'' he asked frantically. the van had stopped, and jonathon was also next to will.

''yeah, yeah sorry.''

''you don't have anything to be sorry about.'' mike smiled. ''what happened.''

''i don't really want to talk about it.'' will muttered.

''oh, okay.''

''but, there was a figure.''

''go on.'' jonathon said.

''he said my time had come to an end? i don't know what it meant, but i have a funny feeling that that might have been the last trance you can get me out of.'' will had a frightened look across his face.

''we better hurry up and get to hawkins then.'' jonathon said, quickly moving back to his seat and starting up the van again. mike didn't say anything, more just stared anxiously at will. will glanced down at his feet to see a rolled up painting: he hadn't even given mike his painting, that was fake too. will's face formed into a frown, and only hoped he would have enough time to try again.

a/n: sorry for the short chapter! i didn't want to wait any longer to publish another chapter. i've been working on another fic which is basically my theory for season 5 written as a story, would you guys be interested in reading it?