the freak

THE GROUP arrived at a small barn where this supposed 'eddie munson' was hiding.

''eddie? it's dustin. we brought a few more friends.'' he called out. a slim figure with long, black curly hair poked out from his hiding spot. ''this is el, the girl with superpowers, jonathon, argyle, and will.''

eddie came out from his spot, and greeted the four of them. 

''we think we know what happened to chrissy... and we think it's happening to will too.'' there was a moment of silence. ''can you tell us about vecna?''

''d&d? what's that got to do with anything?'' eddie asked.

''please.''

''fine. vecna used to just be this ordinary dude, and was just his artifacts. using the artifacts took some serious commitment. the hand was the mummified left hand of vecna, and in order to use its powers, the would-be wielder is required to cut off their own left hand, and press the relic to the stump. similarly, using the eye required a person to gouge out their own eye and replace it with vecna's. that wasn't the only catch: users couldn't alter the effects, and if either the hand or the eye were removed, it was pretty much certain death. why would anyone want to do this? they were almost ridiculously powerful.

effects ascribed to the artifacts have varied across editions, but according to D&D Lore, the eye has variously given the ability to see the future, to see through objects, and night vision. Meanwhile, the hand is said to give the wearer the ability to cast ancient spells, drain a person's life force, and instantly kill.

vecna's story started to develop with the release of modules like "vecna lives," where players needed to deal with a vecna who's looking to reclaim his eye and hand. that's when we learn that vecna was once a perfectly normal human (or, sometimes a half-elf), born to an incredibly cruel and twisted mother. his mother's relentless pushing guided him down the path to becoming a powerful wizard, but when she died, cbr says that's when things kind of went off the rails.

vecna found himself up close and personal with the fact that death was more powerful than any human could be, and the realization that he was eventually going to die — and all his knowledge would disappear — kind of broke him. so, he decided he was going to spend the rest of his days trying to become immortal.

becoming immortal at the cost of your physical form is pretty hardcore, but if there's one thing that can be said about vecna, it's that he doesn't settle for second best. after becoming a lich, forgotten realms says that he continued in his relentless search for more power, and along the way, he started to get more and more followers — particularly magic-users who shared his lust for power, knowledge, and the forbidden.

over the course of centuries, vecna grew to the point he became a demigod. just how he became a fully-fledged deity was a bit up in the air, but it was long rumored that he had gained the ability to restructure entire worlds, and just sort of made himself a god. the curse isn't about vecna's eye or hand at all, but rather the nothics — a race of creatures who are the result of a curse stemming from vecna. according to d&d lore: " nothics were the result of a curse befalling wizards who delved too deep into arcane knowledge.''

''jesus christ, my dude. how do you remember all of that?'' argyle asked, clearly still high.

''so, our vecna shaped the upside down?'' nancy asked.

''yeah i guess.'' lucas responded.

''but why's he killing traumatised teens?'' steve asked. ''sorry will.'' he added.

''he wants to build an army.'' robin stated. ''he wants power, that's all.''

''so he's not originally from the upside down? if he shaped it he's got to be from out world.'' nancy said.

''one.'' eleven stated. ''he was... my friend. he is where my powers come... came from. i think i sent him there.''

''oh great so he has superpowers too. brilliant. totally doesn't make this thing anymore difficult.'' steve said sarcastically. 

''where do we even start with defeating him?'' jonathon asked.

''we go into the upside down.'' nancy suggested. ''we go in, try to find him or whatever, and assess the situation.''

''how do you get in? didn't el close the gate?'' mike asked.

''she did. but when chrissy died, another one opened in eddie's trailer. and again in the middle of the road where fred died. we send two groups and go through them. i suggest adults only.'' nancy replied.

''sounds good to me. me, nance, and jonathon will go to eddie's trailer. steve, eddie, and the high one can go to other.'' robin said.

''why am i stuck with the two on drugs?'' steve complained.

''just go with it.''

''and what about us?'' max asked.

''keep will safe.'' jonathon replied.

''you need weapons, what if you run into a demogorgen or something?'' dustin stated.

''we can get them from the upside down. i have guns in my room. that way we'll avoid any questions from my mom.'' nancy answered, she clearly had this all planned out.

''stay safe.'' mike said, hugging his sister.

''good luck.'' will said approaching his own sibling.

and with that, the two groups left, heading towards each gate.

a/n: i'm so sorry if any of the vecna facts are incorrect or anything, please let me know if they are!