sacrifice

''WILL, WHAT about the others?''

''it didn't work, they're in danger!'' will panicked, he knew what he had to do. but, if he was to destory the upside down, he needed to get them out of there first. ''we have to get them out.''

the two boys ran as fast as they could, whilst will tried to ignore the amounts of pain surging through his body. they ran in silence, too focused and stressed to say a word. this really wasn't the way will wanted to go. but it was for mike. for his friends. for his family. for the world that had hated him for who he was, even if they never learnt his name. 

eddie and el, too, were running as fast as they good to the trailer gate. they knew there was a rope and matrice set up, and they knew how to get in. they were quicker than will and mike to arrive. 

''you stay here.'' el said.

''what, why?''

''i am going to get them out, you need to be here to help.''

the two boys finally arrived at their gate.

''stay here.'' will said.

''what?'' mike sounded offended. 

''you need to help them when they get out.''

''no.'' he said sternly.

''no? what do you mean no?''

''i'm coming with you.'' mike said, before submerging himself into the upside down. will only sighed in annoyance. it was nice though. mike wanted to protect him.

oh shut up, he wants to protect el.

''dustin hurry the fuck up!'' max screamed, gasping for air.

''i'm trying!'' he screamed, firing shots at the vines, trying not to hit max. robin and him had managed to save both argyle and lucas so far, it was just steve and max left.

''robin, i swear to god if you miss one more shot i'm going to die!'' steve yelled.

''if you keep yelling at me you won't die by these stupid vines!'' she remarked, hitting the vines by steve's foot. ''lucas come get his other leg!''

''high dude, or whatever your name is, a little help would be appreciated?'' dustin spat.

''i'm sorry my dude, i'm focusing on not getting strangled by that thing again.'' dustin huffed in fustration. the grip on max began to loosen, and she took a deep breath.

''oh thank god!'' she exclaimed when she felt her arms become free. once she was fully untangled, she hugged dustin in gratatude, earning a side eye from lucas. ''jealous?'' she smirked.

lucas grunted. ''i'm kidding.'' she said, walking over and giving him a slight peck on the cheek.

''that's cute and all but i'm still tangled in deadly vines!'' steve screamed.

''jesus christ, steve, shut up!'' robin yelled, taking a final shot and freeing him.

''oh.'' he said. ''uh, thanks.''

''abort mission!'' they heard someone scream. it was mike, with will following closely behind. ''abort!''

''what, why?''

''it didn't work. you need to get out or he'll kill us all.'' he replied. the group of six quickly hurried off to their nearest gate in the trailer park, only to find eddie standing there, as if he was waiting for them.

''eddie?'' dustin asked.

''that el girl has gone to fight the vecna guy. told me to wait here for you all.'' he smiled as dustin fell onto the matrice.

nancy and jonathon ran. once they realized that vecna had come out of will's mind, they knew something had gone wrong. either: will was dead, and el didn't make it in time, or , they knew they were here. they prayed it was the second option, but their optismism wasn't very high.

''el!'' jonathon yelled, as he saw a girl running towards them in the distance. as they grew closer, she began to speak.

''you guys need to get out of here. he knows you're here.''

''is will okay?'' nancy asked, panicked.

''yes, but him and vecna are still connected, i don't know what to do, and i don't have time to find him.''

''we'll let you know if we see him on our way out.'' nancy said, taking hold of jonathon's hand, and el continued to race towards vecna.

''hey!'' she yelled.

''you won't kill me.'' he stated. ''you know it'll hurt your... brother, is it?''

as a matter of fact, el didn't know what to do. this time, she couldn't find a way out.

''mike.'' will said softly, reaching for his gun strapped to his side.

''yeah?''

''there's a, uhm, painting. it's rolled up in the back of argyle's van. it's from me.''

''will, what are you on about? what's going on?'' will had tears in his eyes.

''nancy was right. me and vecna are connected... and...'' will couldn't finish his sentence. ''i'm sorry, mike.'' he said, before swiftly lifiting the gun to his heart.

a loud bang echoed throughout the upside down.

''what has he done?'' vecna mumbled, before falling to the ground.

''will!'' mike screamed, catching will's body before he fell. ''will, stay with me, please.'' he begged.

''i can't lose you!'' he screamed. ''not now, please. not when i finally figure it out. i love you, will. please, stay with me.'' mike put his hand over will's wound, attempting to stop the bleeding. 

''you can get the painting for me, will. you'll be able to get it for me.'' mike was full on sobbing now, as will's breathing began to slow. ''will, i'm so sorry. i've been such an asshole and i was pushing you away. i was pushing you away because i love you. so please, just stay.'' his breathing was uncontrollable at this point.

'fuck!'' he screamed. ''will, please!'' but it was too late. it was alway too late for micheal wheeler and william byers. will was dead, and the ground began to shake and the vines began to squirm.

''mike?'' he heard el approach him. ''vecna's.. dead.'' she whispered, not being able to look at the corpse of her brother. ''we need to go.''

''we can't leave him, el. please i can't leave him!'' mike screamed. ''not again.'' he added in a whisper.

el picked up the corpse with her powers as her and mike raced towards the gate, both sobbing.  mike struggled to believe it.

will was dead.

his best friend was dead.

it was like the night at the quarry all over again. except, this time it was real. this time was different. this time, mike loved will, but he would never get the chance to tell him. 

it was too late.

a/n: ... oops. there's another chapter after this, stay with me.