31

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

──-ˋˏ☂︎ˎˊ-──

THE GROUP wandered around aimlessly, and it was getting harder to ignore the stares they were receiving the further they ventured into the city. The walk was silent, gears kicking in every Hargreeves head, and in Freya's. Nobody knew what to say. If there even was anything to say.

Allison sighed, finally breaking the ice. "What are we doing?"

"Ruminating," Five answered easily.

"Why is everyone staring at us?" Klaus asked from beside Freya.

"Because we look like the damn Village People just lost a fight," Diego said, reaching back to steal the hat from Klaus, who protested.

"Hey! Give me that- Ow!"

"Hey, numbnuts," Freya smacked both of them. "Stop it."

Diego's smirk broadened. "Don't tell me you're jealous, Nancy Drew."

"Oh, yes. Incredibly. I want Klaus' rip off Calvin Klein hat."

"Hey!"

"Oh, yeah?" Diego tilted his chin upwards. "Come and get it."

Freya hadn't actually wanted the damn thing until she saw the smug look on Diego's face, and she abruptly lunged at him, both he and Klaus still mid-battle. Diego caught her around the waist, dropping the hat, and lifted her up off the ground to drag her away from Klaus, who was putting the article of clothing back on his head with a grin.

"Cut it out!"

Freya struggled against Diego's grasp, but she was laughing too hard to really attempt to get out. Repeatedly smacking his arm, she nearly elbowed Allison in the face. Freya grimaced. "Shit, sor-"

"Okay!" Allison bursted out, interrupting her. "You know what? I need to go find Claire. I will catch up with you guys later."

Diego made a face, and slowly lowered Freya back onto the sidewalk, but he didn't drop his hands from her sides. His grip on her had lifted her shirt up slightly, and his fingers were brushing her skin under the material. She could hardly focus on anything else right then.

"Hey, Allison," Vanya called, stopping her. "No. First, let's get somewhere safe, clean up those cuts, and then we'll go find her."

Allison hesitated, glancing between Vanya and the others. Luther spoke before she got the chance to reply. "Man, I hate those guys."

Freya followed his gaze to a giant billboard that held pictures of the Sparrows on it. Luther was glowering, but Freya didn't have the energy in her right then to remain angry. She needed a nap. A really, really long nap.

"Look at 'em," Luther continued. "With their... stupid... smug..."

Klaus nodded encouragingly next to him. "You can do it. You can do it."

"S-smug... smugness."

Freya raised a brow. "Good one. Bet they're planning revenge on that awesome comeback as we speak. You should really watch your mouth, Luther."

Klaus huffed a sigh. "Yeah, just keep working on it big guy. You'll land one eventually."

"Hopefully it won't be in the ribs next time," Freya held up her hand for Diego to slap, but he stared at her blankly. "No? Really? You guys are such sore losers. We literally just got done fighting an army, that's the only reason they beat us, you know. Our bodies needed a break. Besides, I don't think your egos could handle another win so soon."