02

CHAPTER TWO

──-ˋˏ☂︎ˎˊ-──

FREYA DIDN'T know much about Five, but she discovered a few facts about him in only a couple of minutes. He was bossy, he was arrogant, and he was a coffee addict. When she first became friends with Klaus, talking about him was a forbidden topic, however as they grew closer, Klaus had told her one thing:

Five Hargreeves had gotten into an argument with their father, left the house, and never returned. He'd been missing for seventeen years. And somehow, standing before them, he was still the same age he was when he left. She had recognized him immediately, only because of his giant portrait strung above the mantle in the living room. It was hard to miss—and it was hard not to stare.

"What's the date?" Five demanded once they were all back inside of the house. He rummaged through some of the cabinets in the kitchen, grabbing out a jar of peanut butter. "The exact date?"

"The twenty-fourth," Vanya answered, her voice still clouded in disbelief. The six of them all sat back and watched as he made a sandwich, glancing up to look at them.

"Of what?"

"March."

He slightly nodded. "Good."

"So, are we gonna talk about what just happened?" Luther asked, leaning forward in his seat. "It's been seventeen years."

With a scoff, Five narrowed his eyes at him. "It's been a lot longer than that."

He teleported to another part of the kitchen, making Luther sigh. "I didn't miss that."

"Where'd you go?" Diego questioned, and Five appeared back at the table.

"The future. It sucks, by the way."

"Wait," Freya cut in. "Still no flying cars?"

"I believe those are called airplanes," Klaus told her, making Freya scowl at him in response. "But, I called it! I knew the future would be shit."

"I should've listened to the old man," Five mused. "You know, jumping through space is one thing, jumping through time is a toss of the dice." He suddenly stopped talking, his eyes falling onto Klaus, who was sitting on top of the table. "Nice dress."

"Oh, well, Danke!"

"How did you get back?" Vanya wondered, and Freya pushed her forearms onto the table as she awaited his reply.

"In the end I had to project my consciousness forward into a suspended quantum state version of myself that exists across every possible instance of time."

"That makes no sense," Diego stated.

"It would if you were smarter," Five retorted, taking a bite of his sandwich. Diego stood up, but Luther's arm immediately shot out to stop him from going anywhere. Freya rolled her eyes, and tugged on Diego's sleeve, making him sit back down in his chair. She could feel his glare burning into the back of her head, but she ignored him completely, and kept her gaze trained on the boy in front of her.

"Forty-five years. Give or take."

A heavy silence settled through the group, before Luther spoke again. "So what are you saying? That you're fifty-eight?"

"How can that be? You're still so tiny," Freya commented cheekily, earning herself a dirty look from Five.

"My consciousness is fifty-eight. My body is somehow thirteen again."