17

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

──-ˋˏ☂︎ˎˊ-──

FREYA HAD been fourteen the night Diego kissed her. She didn't know if she remembered it so well because it had been her first ever, or if was genuinely such a good kiss she'd never be able to get it out of her head, but she still could name every last detail if anyone brought it up.

Which, of course, nobody did, because nobody knew. Diego had made her swear not to say anything, so as much as it killed her, she didn't.

"Diego," she recalled is how it started. Just by the simple murmur of his name. There was a small section of roof that was accessible from one of the rooms, and Diego had climbed out it hours before. Nobody had been able to find him, but somehow, she knew he'd be there.

If he had heard her, he didn't show it. Cautiously, she made her way onto the roof, and allowed her knees to buckle so she could sit beside him. "Are you alright?"

"When did you get here?" His voice was hoarser than she'd been expecting.

"Just a couple minutes ago," she answered, watching the way his eyes seemed to absorb the light of the moon above them. "Klaus said you got into a fight?"

"It's nothing."

She didn't want to press it, but a large part of her was curious. She settled for sighing. "Parents suck."

"How would you know?"

"Hey!" She tried to be offended, but it honestly had just amused her, and she kicked his leg. "Don't take your temper tantrum out on me, I'm trying to be a good friend here."

His jaw clenched, and he stubbornly crossed his arms. "We aren't friends. And I'm fine."

"You're such a princess," she couldn't hold back a snort. "But fine, if you don't wanna talk, then don't."

When Diego didn't answer, she took it as her cue to leave. Klaus would provide her with an actual conversation, at least. Talking to Diego was like talking to a wall.

Freya rose to her feet, until she felt an arm wrap around her wrist, and she was tugged right back down. Diego shook his head once. "You don't have to go."

She felt her mouth tug into a smirk that only made him roll his eyes. They were closer now. Diego still had his grip on her, but neither of them minded. The only thing she minded was the way her breath caught when he leaned forward slightly, giving her time to pull away, before he kissed her full on the lips.

It felt like she was about to explode. The kiss lasted decently enough—she was sure this was Diego's first one, too. He probably practiced on his hand or something, now that she thought about it.

But the flutter in her chest that night was nothing compared to the feeling she had right then, staring at Diego who was not stood ten feet away from where she opened the door.

The day had dragged. With a very awkward introduction to Elliot, her stalker, earlier that morning, she had gone off to work.

"That little man is very strange," Elizabeth commented once Freya had begun to fill her in on the events of what happened, a part of it, at least. It wasn't like she could tell the woman that the world was about to end and that Freya was a time traveler. No, that would be a conversation for a different time. Perhaps never.