26

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

──-ˋˏ☂︎ˎˊ-──

"NOW WHAT?" Luther asked after an extremely thick and uncomfortable silence that made Freya want to evaporate into thin air and pretend none of this had never happened. Five had been pacing around like a lunatic, mumbling things to himself that she couldn't figure out.

"Now nothing, Luther, all right?" Five snapped. "Make your peace with God!"

"What?" Luther repeated in confusion. "What about Allison and Vanya?"

"Screw them both. They should've been here."

"What about Diego?" Klaus questioned. "He's quite a responsible young man, no?"

"Yeah," Freya nodded. "They all are. Something must've happened. They know how important it was to get back here on time."

"Screw Diego, okay?" Five scoffed, kicking the dumpster. "Screw everybody! I was better off on my own in the apocalypse!"

"You don't mean that," Freya accused, crossing her arms defensively.

"Yeah, come on, Five," Luther chimed in.

"You know what? It's every sibling for themself now. How 'bout that?"

"Did Five just get meaner?" Klaus asked as he stormed into Elliot's. He scrunched his face up as he stared after him.

Freya sighed, removing her gaze from Five's retreating figure. "Luther, go talk to Five and get him to pull his head out from his ass. Klaus and I will go check on Allison—maybe she has an idea on where the others are at and if they're okay."

Luther nodded, and started to make his way into the apartment. Klaus pushed himself up, staring at his pool of vomit. "And you," he sneered, waving a finger in the air. "You have had your possession privileges revoked."

Freya froze, warily watching him as realization dawned on her. "So you mean I wasn't just talking to you a few minutes ago?"

"No," Klaus replied shortly, and he slowly started walking out of the alley.

"Then who the hell was I talking to?"

He glanced back, and then shrugged as if the answer was obvious. "Ben."

──-ˋˏ☂︎ˎˊ-──

Klaus rapidly knocked on Allison's door as Freya peered around the house. It was cute, Freya admired the decor from where she was stood on the porch. An unfamiliar man peeked his head through the glass window, and seemed to relax upon seeing who stood there. The door swung open, and Klaus gave a little wave. "Hey, Ray-Ray. I'm so sorry it's late but uh—"

"Klaus, now is not a good time."

"Oh, you're Allison's husband," Freya realized, and Ray's eyes snapped over to her as if he hadn't seen her standing there before. "You know, it was not a good time for you guys to be giving each other going away presents if you know what I mean. So if you'd excuse me, I'm going to have to bitch at my friend."

Ignoring the man's protests, Freya brushed past him and stepped into the house, pausing upon seeing the dried blood on Allison's face, and the dead man sitting on their couch. Dead Swede, she mentally corrected herself, and her mouth fell open in surprise.

"Allison!" Klaus greeted. "I was so worried about you."

"Bad night?" Freya wondered, gesturing to the man lying on the floor. Allison sighed, looking exasperated as she glanced back to Ray, who had firmly closed the front door behind him. His eyes were wide with fear as they landed on the couch once more, and Freya could feel his panic from across the room.