46

CHAPTER FORTY-SIX
──-ˋˏ☂︎ˎˊ-──

"LET'S NEVER do that again," Viktor stated, gasping once they burst through the tunnel. Freya hurriedly examined the room, but there was no sign of anything else in there with them. It was weird—when they'd faced the guardian, he was going to stop at nothing to get them.

But now he just killed Luther and suddenly decided to play hide and seek? It didn't make any sense.

"What, narrowly escape the apocalypse?"

"It's kind of our thing, isn't it?"

"There's something very wrong about that," Allison nodded to the animal mantle on the wall.

"Same suite," Lila stated. "Just ass-backwards."

"No hyperbole there."

"This is some hardcore Alice in Wonderland shit."

"Yeah, well, it only gets weirder," Diego warned.

Freya faced the tunnel door as Reginald came sprinting out of it, breathing heavily. "Uh, where is Klaus?"

"Children, I'm sorry," Reginald sighed. "But your brother.. I did all I could, but he didn't make it through in time. The Kugelblitz has claimed its last victim."

"Bullshit," Freya sneered, and Diego went to stand between her and Reginald as if he were afraid either of them would attack the other. "He was right behind us."

"Freya's right," Five stared suspiciously at Reginald. Good. She wasn't crazy—Five saw it too. Something very weird was going on. Weirder than the apocalypse.

Diego's gaze faltered between him and Freya, until he took a step back to whisper into her ear. "What are you thinking?"

"I don't know," she answered, not looking away from Reginald. "But something isn't right. It's not adding up. Two plus two does not equal seven. This shit doesn't make sense."

"We need to go back," Sloane's voice was weak, and her hands were still covered in Luther's blood.

"There's nothing to go back to," Reginald told her. "Children, there will be time for tears later."

Freya's heart ached for Sloane. She had no idea what she'd do if she lost.. Her eyes shifted to Diego, who met her gaze immediately. She just didn't know what she'd do.

"It's magnificent," Reginald declared as they stepped into Hotel Oblivion's lobby. And it was, really. If you ignored the looming eeriness, the room was beautiful. With shiny checkered floors, and beams of light that reached the ceiling, it was hard not to be impressed.

"You guys should've stayed here," Ben said. "This place is way nicer."

"Freya, Lila and I barely got out alive last time, remember?" Diego said, his voice a little sharp. Freya quirked a brow at his tone. It was hard to get a read on him in situations like these, but from the way his jaw was clenched, she knew what he was thinking about.

He was worried something was going to happen to her. And the baby. It was the whole reason he'd wanted her to stay behind. The worry was endearing, she'd give him that. There was a time where Freya didn't even know if he cared about her—but she knew how to handle herself better than anyone. He needed to understand that, too.

"Yeah, but I'm here this time, and the numbers are in our favor."

"And I'm chopped liver I guess," Freya dismissively said. Whether Ben liked her or not, there was no denying she was one of the more powerful ones out of the group. Not nearly as strong as Viktor or Five, but she was up there.