38

CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT
──-ˋˏ☂︎ˎˊ-──

FREYA HADN'T even realized she'd fallen asleep until she heard someone yelling. She cracked her eyes open, and Diego jerked awake from the foot of the bed. She felt a pit form in her stomach—he'd stayed all night.

Lila appeared in the doorway a second later, hands on her hips. "Well, good morning lovebirds. Is Stan in here? I can't find him anywhere."

Freya glanced to the opposite side of the room, where two empty beds sat. She raised a brow. "Yeah he's chilling in the back pocket of my jeans right now. No, obviously he is not in here."

Lila grumbled something, and Diego slowly pushed himself upright, rubbing at his eyes. "Don't worry, Lila. I'm sure he's around here somewhere."

Lila fell onto one of the beds with a sigh. "You don't think he would've gotten Kugelblitzed with everyone else, do you?"

Freya grimaced at the thought, and Diego's jaw clenched. "Shit."

"Okay," Lila clapped her hands together, rising to her feet. "Search party time. Let's go, you two."

"He is not my kid," Freya reminded her. "So, why would I help?"

"He's like your step-son."

"Do not call him my step-son," Freya shot Lila a dirty look. "That would mean Diego and I are together, and I'd have some involvement with to you."

"Come on," Diego pleaded, his voice lowered so Lila couldn't hear him. "Don't leave me alone with her."

Freya raised a brow. "Yeah, because we all know what happened the last time you were left alone with her."

"No, Freya, that's not what I—"

"Oi!" Lila called from the doorway. "Get moving. I want you guys to double check the room I stayed in last night. Make sure I'm not missing anything."

Freya brushed past Diego, but he caught her by the arm. "Listen to me."

She shook her head. "Don't do this now, Diego. Your kid is missing."

"Lila was a mistake," he went on as if he hadn't heard her. "I knew it the second I let her initiate it."

"I really do not want to hear about her initiating it," Freya started out the door again. This time, Diego followed.

"I just need you to know... that it's you I want to be with. Not her."

"That's great, Diego. I'm so glad you're figuring out your feelings," she glanced back at him over her shoulder. "But maybe do it after we've found your son, yeah? Oh, and maybe if you hadn't slept with someone else the same day you kissed me, you wouldn't have to figure out your feelings at all."

"People have complicated relationships all the time!"

"Good for them," Freya watched Lila turn down another hall. "Doesn't mean I want one."

"I'm just saying," he jogged to catch up to her. "Me having a kid with someone who isn't my current partner isn't that bizarre. Happens all the time."

"I told you before, Diego," Freya faced him. "Stan isn't the problem. You could've had him, or a different kid years before we reconnected and I wouldn't have minded, because life happens. My issue is when Stan came to be. So, the kid isn't the problem. You are."

"Guys!" Lila shouted from inside one of rooms. Freya broke away from Diego and followed her voice. She stepped into the familiar room, and noticed the line of wrappers heading to a wall that had an opening.