Chapter 5 : Conflicting relationships

Kim Seokjin

     This name seemed to echo several times in Jungkook's mind, it was a very strange feeling, as if the name imprinted itself inside of him. 

     At the same time, a pleasant warmth slowly spread throughout his body, starting from his right hand and he had the impression that his body was illuminated by a warm light from the inside, without however being able to see the slightest light escaping from it.

     A white veil covered his eyes for a split second and forced him to blink frantically as the other boy, Seokjin, forced him to run blindly, pulling him roughly even when his feet stumbled painfully against the stone steps.

     When his vision cleared, Jungkook saw that the scenery in front of him had completely changed. The staircase no longer seemed endless because a series of three gates similar to those found in Japanese Shinto Sanctuary, had appeared: one white, one black and one red. And beyond that were several huge, familiarly shaped buildings that looked like temples or ancient palace with their characteristic roofs at several levels.

     "But... that's amazing, it wasn't there before, I swear!" Jungkook exclaimed, vigorously rubbing his eyes to make sure it wasn't an illusion, slowing down without realizing it.

     "Don't stop Jeon Jungkook!" Seokjin shouted this time letting go of his hand and pushing him forward : "run, hurry through the first white gate only, you'll be safe because the shadows can't pass through it. I'll hold them in the meantime!"

     Jungkook was quick to see the army of shadows inexorably approaching him, some suddenly taking the form of long-fingered hands ready to grab him. Without thinking twice, he turned and ran full speed towards the portals, abandoning Seokjin to his fate and only thinking about his own survival. 

     However, contrary to what the other boy had told him, he didn't just cross the first portal. He continued on his way, passing the black one then the red one without looking back or stopping to catch his breath and soon arrived at the top of the stairs, in a vast paved courtyard surrounded by several pavilions of different colors. 

     And in the middle of the square, there was a stone basin which was topped by a clumsily carved fountain from which clear water flowed with a light lapping sound.

     The place was soothingly calm and there wasn't a hungry shadow on the horizon, which reassured Jungkook. The courtyard seemed deserted, apart from the presence of a green-eyed tabby cat that stopped a few feet away and glared at him.

     "No, but I'm dreaming!" Jungkook exclaimed in an outraged voice, "even the cats are detestable here? Come on, go away!" he shouted, pretending to kick him to get him to leave.

     But the cat didn't move, he just stared at him, looking more haughty than ever.

     "I give up," Jungkook said, "do whatever you want, keep watching me, anyway you have nine lives to do it, you have time to stare at me all night, but not me."

     He reached out to pet the cat but noticed the tattoo on his hand.

     "No but look at this horror," Jungkook sighed.

     The cat seemed to agree with him because he walked away when Jungkook wanted to stroke him with his right hand and took long strides away.

      Turning around towards the portals, Jungkook saw that Seokjin had still not entered the sanctuary compound. Perhaps he was dead, devoured by the too numerous shadows? Jungkook did not like this unpleasant boy but he had to admit that he had probably saved his life.