Chapter 21 : Jimin's tears

Night reigned over Seoul, out of the Path of souls. While climbing at a brisk pace, climbing the steep steps of the staircase, Jungkook was a little worried and scanned the woods on either side. He remembered all too well the dark soul, the beautiful-faced gurimdja who had deceived him and tried to devour his soul, before the shadows chased him and Seokjin by the thousands.

Although he knew he would have been incapable of such patience now that he had found the activation rune for his shamanic power, it probably would have been better for Jungkook to wait until the next day before entering the Path of souls, he would have been more reassured.

"It's daylight in Seoul right now, so the shadows won't attack you, don't worry."

Jungkook remembered very clearly what Seokjin had said to him as he left the Kim estate down the Path of souls. He had felt his worry as his own because of the mark that linked them both and it had pissed off Jungkook to know that the other felt his emotions.

Then he understood that it was not the other who decided to feel this way. He had to. He felt the emotions of all the souls he was connected with. It drove Jungkook crazy just thinking about it.

But more than anything else, he remembered Seokjin saying he never wanted to see him again in his lifetime. At first it had hurt him but now that he had found his way home on his own, he only had one idea in mind: to take his revenge. He couldn't wait to show himself to Seokjin out of pure arrogance. He wanted to shout in his face: "Whether you like it or not, I came back before I died!"

A satisfied smile appeared on his face as he continued to climb at full speed. Against all expectations, no shadow appeared and after a certain time, much shorter than the first time when he had continued walking for hours, he saw the first of the three portals, the white one, which protected the Twilight Sanctuary against the evil spirits of Inwangsan.

If he could see it, this meant that he was still invited, like in his previous dream. He looked at the rune on his hand. It wasn't Seokjin's mark, but he would have liked to believe that it was him who invited him back willingly. It was probably better than knowing he was breaking in. 

No, after all, it was more exciting to enter without Seokjin's permission.

Without thinking, Jungkook crossed it, knowing he wouldn't have to worry about spirits once he got to the other side. He had the strange sensation that the inside of his body had just undergone a strange magical cleaning which made him gasp a little. He hadn't felt that way the first time, maybe because he was rushing? Or because at that time he just wasn't a magical being?

Then he crossed the second and the same strange feeling seized him, more profoundly than the first time.

And finally the third portal gave him the impression that an invisible force was probing his interior and grabbing at his navel.

He eventually understood that the portals were probing his body in search of an evil spirit, a dark soul or an evil demon. That was their function. And since he was not one of those entities whose access was prohibited, he was able to pass after a careful examination of his mind, his soul and his heart.

Now Jungkook was back at the square of souls, on the ancient stone slabs, where the stone fountain let out clear water and where the soft sound of lapping water could be heard. 

Even though the place wasn't full of happy souls in white hanbok and he was absolutely alone in this deserted and silent place, Jungkook strangely didn't feel alone there. His loneliness seemed to have evaporated all at once.

He had never had a stable home and didn't know what a family was. Yet this place gave him the conviction that he would finally discover what it felt like to return to a place called home. This place was the domain of the shamans Kim and yet it felt like he had come home.