t w o

×××

𝐬𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝟑
Modern Loneliness

×××

As the sun's burning rays look down on the earth, Taeyeon cancels her plan to read her new short romance novel in the backyard. She turns on her classic turntable and plays her favorite vinyl by Tom Misch.

Taeyeon makes her way to the kitchen to brew herself a glass of ice coffee as the melody of Lost in Paris fills the empty living room. 

"Ah, another day," she exhales.

It has been like this for six years now, and she has already gotten used to it. Walking through each day with only non-living things, she doesn't feel the need of talking to someone. Watching TV and imagining the scenarios from the book she reads is already enough.

Her brother, Taejoon, is constantly busy with work that he almost has no time to spend with her. Since his company is far from their house, Taejoon would rarely stay. It will be hard for him, and she understands it. She won't complain, far from it, honestly. He works hard for her  for the small family that used to be four. 

Their parents passed away when she was 15.

She still remembers how she was just having an everyday student life, sitting at the edge of the hall, talking to her friends while waiting for her turn for the physical education. Until she was rushed to the teacher's room and was told that her parents had died in a car crash.

Her life since then has completely changed.

She didn't want to go to school nor attend any festivals she used to love. She cuts contact with her friends, not wanting anyone except Taejoon to be involved in her life anymore. The shift in her personality worries Taejoon a lot, and she knows how every single thing troubles him.

So slowly, she adapts to a new life. 

Although she no longer enrolls in school, they hire a few teachers for homeschooling. Taeyeon gradually learns everything, except for socializing with people, which she still finds difficult and scary.

And now that she's 22, she believes she has totally adjusted to 70% of her overall life. Again, apart from the socializing. Every day, she has things to do, and those activities would excite her each time. 

That settles then, right?

She's happy with her life now, so why should it change?

A sudden car noise in front of her house interrupts her silent thoughts. She ponders a while, thinking of the person that may come at a time like this, and slight anxiety rushes into her body. But a soft familiar voice that calls her name quickly pulls her away from the concern.

Taeyeon instantly steers her feet to unlock the front door. Her uncontrollable smile becomes wider as she sees the tall figure that she hasn't seen for quite some time welcome her with his arms wide open. She quickly jogs into his embrace, tightly holding her one and only brother.

"I miss you."

"I miss you too," Taejoon replies, "Have you eaten lunch?"

"I had my brunch."

Taejoon releases himself from the hug. The dissatisfaction appears clearly on his face, "Told you several times to have a proper breakfast and lunch, and not brunch."