Chapter 21: Emotion

Chapter 21: Emotion

Okay then. Not what I'd expected him to say, and a million questions surged into my head, all of them battling to be asked.

"I thought you didn't date public figures."

A low chuckle rumbled from his chest. "I don't. I was very new to the industry, perhaps a little cocky because of how quickly my career had taken off. She was just starting to make a name for herself at Capital, and I was instantly besotted."

"I can see why. She's beautiful."

"Hm. She's the first and last woman I asked out."

I tipped my head towards him, a playful smile tickling my lips. "Was the rejection really that bad?"

His thumb pinched my shoulder, but his mouth twitched in poorly concealed amusement.

"Actually, she was very nice about it. Said the age difference was one factor, but she would have looked past it if we were both outside the public eye."

"So, the main issue was the publicity it would generate, then?" I asked while mentally trying to calculate Alisha's age.

There were probably only a few years between them. I remembered listening to her on Capital when studying for my final year uni exams. She was a co-presenter back then, but their Drive Time show bore only the name of her male counterpart. How the tables had turned. I'd not heard him mentioned in years, and yet Alisha was one of the brightest stars in radio.

"Yeah." Ed blew out a weary sigh. "She didn't want a relationship that would be scrutinised in the media, which is what always happens when two celebrities date. She also wanted to make sure any career progression was earned from her competency alone, and not because she had a direct line to a singer that every radio station wanted access to."

"Good for her."

"Hm. Story of my life."

I glanced around us, making sure nobody was in earshot, but then kept my words about Lacey cryptic anyway just in case.

"But you did date her."

Ed snorted. "Hardly. I never officially asked her out—it just happened. And then it was all very secretive. It's not a real relationship if you can't be together in public."

Hearing his anguish over struggling to date people reminded me of how we'd met. I'd known I was the convenient option to him—not a celebrity and not a fan, either—and I'd reassured Becca of that time and time again. As the weeks had gone on and we'd got to know one another, I'd accepted that it was no longer about convenience. Regardless of the deception involved, something about our friendship—even if it was just the chemistry—had been real.

"I know I shouldn't complain." He lowered his voice as a security guard strolled by. "I'd hate to feel like my involvement in someone's life was a burden or a source of resentment, even indirectly. But why can't someone just want to date me for me? It's like my name either attracts the wrong ones or scares off the right ones."

"Your life isn't normal, Ed. It's just a sacrifice you have to make. And a small sacrifice considering how privileged you are with the life you lead."

"I know, I know... But I'm nearly twenty-seven. I want to settle down at some point. Is it too much to ask to have a long-term partner and a successful career?"

He was beginning to wallow in self-pity, and as much as I understood his perspective, this wasn't supposed to be a night of sadness. And he also shouldn't be complaining about his lack of a girlfriend to his stand-in girlfriend.