Chapter 23: Reality

Chapter 23: Reality

After having my access to Ed's private quarters revoked thanks to our ill-judged secret meetings, I'd felt like I'd been cut off from a part of his life that I'd always been part of. But now, as we reached an intersection that led left for the penthouse lift and right for the rest of the wing, it gave me an easy way to slip away from him.

"Any other plans for tonight?" He leaned a shoulder against the wall and slid his hands into his pockets.

If I didn't know better, I'd wonder if he was trying to entice me up to his room. But that earlier suspicion had reappeared, and with it, I trod carefully.

I hated lying to him, but admitting the truth would achieve nothing. He'd either tell me not to go—which would result in an argument—or he'd spend his night fretting about the potential consequences—which would then mean I'd be worrying about him being stressed rather than enjoying myself.

For just one evening, I wanted to make a decision only for me. Tomorrow my photo would be all over the internet, but tonight I'd blend in as an ordinary person. If I was going to continue this charade with him, I had to stay in touch with my own reality, too.

"It's midnight." I made a point of looking at the time on my phone. "And, honestly, I'm exhausted from pretending to fancy you all night, so I'll probably just go straight to sleep."

His lips twitched in amusement, but his broad shoulders tightened with tension. My lie hadn't fooled him.

"You were very convincing, Sophia. Congratulations on a job well done."

"Yeah, well," I said breezily, "the whole world fancies Teddy Stone. Not exactly a difficult job, is it? Just a damn long one. So, anyway, night."

As I turned to leave, his fingers darted out to curl around my wrist, clamping down and tugging me back towards him. I stumbled into his solid body, my hands flattening against the hard planes of his chest. For a moment, the suspicion in his eyes melted into a dark heat. For a moment, I forgot all about my plans with Camille.

"I don't want you to do anything stupid." The quiet words spilled from his lips, drawing my mind out of his bed and back to the dimly lit corridor.

I stepped back and smoothed down my dress. "Since when was going to bed stupid?"

Sighing, Ed folded his arms. "Trying to do something without me finding out is one thing. Lying to my face about it? I thought we were better than that, Sophia."

The remark struck me like a sucker punch to the gut. It was the final straw in a night that had sliced at my resilience over and over again. And rather than guilt-trip me into cancelling my plans with Camille, it spurred me on.

Inhaling a deep breath, I stared up into those beautiful blue eyes and said, perfectly calmly, "Night, Ed."

Frustration flashed across his face, but I didn't linger to watch it morph into anger. I strode down the right-hand fork and didn't stop until I reached my room.

*

"You look amazing!" Camille looped her arm through mine as I stepped off the Tube. "Thought you didn't believe in my disguise approach? Nailed it."

I smiled politely, my mind still partly on Ed. "I wouldn't go that far."

But I had tried my best. When using my straighteners to style my new fringe, I'd made a spontaneous decision to straighten the rest of my hair too. I couldn't remember the last time I'd sacrificed my waves—I didn't like what straight hair did to the shape of my face—but now seemed like a good time to take the plunge.