Chapter 36: Party, Pt 3

Charlotte didn't return the phones and, unsurprisingly, nobody asked her to. They'd been treated to a side of Teddy Stone that was rarely made public; they didn't want to sacrifice that.

Ed's bravado faded as soon as he stepped away from the karaoke machine, just like I'd expected. Despite that, he seemed more relaxed. We danced to the cheesy tunes, my arms extended over his shoulders, fingers sifting lazily through his hair, while he skimmed his hands all over my back, waist, and hips like he couldn't decide where to settle. His lips dotted soft kisses along my neck and across my cheeks—everywhere but my mouth. Each time he reached my ear, gentle whispers gushed about how lucky he was, how beautiful I looked, how much he was enjoying himself.

In a bizarre turn of events that could only be explained by the lack of likeable people at this party, he also spent so much time with Mike that I began to suspect a genuine friendship blossoming.

Maybe it was the party atmosphere and they'd never talk again after tonight, but I knew how much Ed struggled with forming real connections. He didn't trust easily, nor did he let people in. Although he might not like thinking about my history with Mike, would he put that discomfort aside for the chance to make a new friend?

However it played out, I wanted no involvement. Ed could cosy up to my ex in his own time. I'd support from the sidelines and try not to think about the impact on Becca.

"That boy looks at you like you're everything to him."

I dragged my eyes away from Ed and Mike's laughing figures to focus on Gabby sat next to me.

"I think Char has helped him relax by taking the phones away," I said, dodging her comment.

"Yeah. She suggested it to me earlier but didn't want to make a big deal out of it. He seems like the type who'd hate us making concessions for him."

"Thanks for inviting him, though. I know it's kind of weird having someone famous at your birthday."

She waved off my concern with a flick of her dainty wrist. "He's fine. He's doing a great job of pretending to be normal."

I laughed. "He's trying his best."

"Besides, he's important to you. Right?"

Uneasiness clashed with panic deep in my stomach. Even my palms started to sweat. It was a simple question, one that was incredibly easy to answer. But thinking about feelings—or at least the strength of my feelings—while I watched Ed laugh with the last guy who'd broken my heart, filled me with a stifling dread.

I took a sip of water to quench my dry mouth.

"I wouldn't be with him if he weren't important to me. The only thing keeping me sane throughout the madness is how much I like him. If I didn't, I wouldn't be able to put up with all the complications attached to dating someone as famous as him."

It sounded harsh when said aloud, but Gabby's eyes brimmed with sympathy as she nodded in understanding.

"You look good together. Happy. It's weird for all of us because we're so used to seeing him act a certain way on TV where he's centre stage and it's all about him, you know? He seems to want to blend into the background here. It's like he looks like Teddy Stone, but the intensity is dialled down a couple of notches."

I choked out a laugh. "Shit, don't tell him that. He thinks he's had the wool pulled over your eyes all evening."

When I glanced over my shoulder to look at him again, he caught me in the act and smiled. A silent blend of affection and warmth passed between us, enough to settle my fleeting panic from earlier.