Chapter 31: Practice

"You know... It's been a very long time since I was someone's boyfriend. I hope I don't suck at it."

Ed's hesitant statement hovered in the pitch-black air above us. We lay in bed together, my head on his chest, his fingers stroking patterns along my shoulder blades.

My lips curved against his smooth skin. "I hope so, too."

He chuckled, but the genuine fear in his voice pulled me closer to offer reassurance. I looped a leg over his thigh and extended my arm across his toned stomach. Changing position triggered a stretch of pain through various muscles, yet the haze of affection managed to overpower it.

"You won't suck at it," I said. "Besides, it's been a while for me, as well. I can barely remember what it's supposed to be like."

"Was he a good boyfriend?" Ed asked quietly. His palm drifted up to the nape of my neck, fingers threading through my hair. "Mike?"

"I guess. But it ended for a reason. I'm trying really hard not to compare myself to Lacey, so you should do the same and not worry about Mike."

"Hm." Ed's hand slipped to my chin, tilting my face up towards him. He kissed me once, a gentle peck on the lips. "You don't need to worry about Lacey."

An unfamiliar awkwardness followed, spurred by the way he sighed against my mouth in regret.

"But we do need to have a conversation about her at some point. I just need to speak to her first."

I swallowed down the tightness in my throat. "Ed, it's fine. What happened between you and her can stay between you and her. Plus you've got an NDA so that's an even bigger reason not to feel obliged to tell me about it."

"I know," he said slowly, "but I don't want to keep anything from you. And you deserve to know what happened."

What happened. The words sent a chill up my spine. No breakup was easy, but Ed and Lacey remained friends. Surely it wasn't that bad?

"Whatever happened, you've both moved on."

"From the relationship, yes. Certain things stay with you, though." His voice was so quiet and pained that my heart ached in sympathy.

I nuzzled closer to his chest, determined to prove that he wouldn't scare me off, that he could tell me anything. When he drew me into another kiss, I pressed harder against him, half-straddling his thigh as I sucked hard at his lips, desperate to convey how much I cared.

A groan rumbled from his chest, and a broad palm skimmed down my back. Familiar heat bloomed in my stomach, regret tinging my words when I spoke.

"I'm too sore for sex."

He nipped at my bottom lip. "I know."

The tip of his nose brushed mine as he briefly broke away, and I shifted against his leg, moaning when I felt his erection hot and hard against my thigh.

"And my jaw is really sore, but I could probably still—"

"Relax." He grinned against my mouth. "I know you usually hate kissing, but I happen to quite enjoy it."

Our lips fused once more, somehow lazy yet dirty at the same time. When my fingers tightened in his hair, a deep growl vibrated from his throat.

"Don't do that... Else I'll change my mind about going easy on you."

But his threat was empty, and seconds later he'd pulled me closer to his chest, his head resting next to mine, our steady heartbeats lulling each other to sleep.