2: CRASHING

Jimin ran to the hospital reception asking for his daughter. "Areum. Jeon Areum please."
The nurse clicked on her keyboard, "She's in the pediatrics wing on the second floor. Room 13B." He ran to the elevator but didn't have the patience to wait for it. He took the stairs two at a time. His anxiety started again. Fuck, why is this happening now?

He got to the second floor and searched for the room which was near the end of the hallway. He opened the door and got in. His knees weakened to see his baby hooked to so many tubes and machines. Tae was seated next to her holding her hand and he could tell he had been crying. He approached the bed.

"Tae." He whispered afraid of waking Areum. Tae turned to him and stood up pulling Jimin in his arms. "What happened?" Jimin returned the hug before he let him go to caress Areum's hair.
"I... I shouldn't have suggested going to the park. She was okay, she was playing happily. You should have seen her Minie." Tae rambled on.
"Tae please just tell me what happened. " Jimin whispered again.
"We rode a Ferris wheel and when we got down, she said she was feeling dizzy. I thought it was because of the ride but we've been to so many before. Th... Then she was nose bleeding and collapsed. We called an ambulance." Tae was crying again. "I'm sorry Minie."
"Where's hyung? Did the doctor say anything?"
"He went to pay for some of her tests the doctor ran before you got here. He should be back soon."

Jimin kissed Areum's forehead. He was terrified. It can't be good if she was hooked up to all those tubes. He took her small hand and leaned his cheek on it. "Appa is right here baby. You'll be okay." He felt weak. Closing his eyes and praying for strength.

The door opened but he didn't open his eyes. He felt a hand on his shoulder and opened his eyes turning to Tae. He saw Yoongi standing next to him and a doctor who was studying Areum's chat at the foot of the bed. He looked at Yoongi who had worry lines etched on his forehead.

The doctor looked up, Park Jimin?
That's me. What's wrong with my baby?
First of all I want you to know there's a series of treatments she'll have to go through and she'll be fine. We've run several tests, some we'll have to wait till tomorrow to get results. Your daughter was diagnosed with AML. We've detected it...
Wait, what is that? Jimin asked standing up.
Acute Myeloid Leukemia. It's still early so her chances of getting better are high.

Jimin felt his ears ringing and he felt his world crashing. Leukemia. The word rang in his mind repeatedly. His baby had cancer. He tuned out the doctor and turned back to his baby. The light of his life. He hadn't realized he was sobbing until he was pulled into someone's arms. He went down begging anyone who was listening to help his baby.

Minie, you need to be strong. Areum needs you more than ever. Yoongi told him shaking him out of his stupor. Please, we need you to be strong, okay. They helped him out. Tae wiped his tears as well as his. The doctor was still there waiting patiently.

Please tell me how to proceed. Tell me there's treatment.
Of course. There are two types of treatments induction therapy and intensification therapy. The resident oncologist will tell you more about these treatments tomorrow once we get all the results of the tests. Don't worry Mr. Park, your daughter will be okay.
Jimin nodded, When will she wake up?
When the sedatives wear off in about three hours. I'll be back later to check on her. The doctor left after that.
Taetae, my baby is sick. He whimpered. Tae hugged him without a word. What could he tell him anyway? Areum was like a daughter to him too. Yoongi just looked at them sadly. For a moment he considered calling Jin to get Jungkook because Minie needed him there but he couldn't go behind his back.
          ***
When Areum came to, Jimin had calmed down and was sitting beside her holding her hand. He smiled kissing her forehead.
Appa.
Hey, baby. Appa is right here. Appa will make sure you are okay baby. He said as tears dropped again. Stupid tears. His baby looked so fragile.
No cry.
I'm just happy you are awake baby. Are you hungry, uncle Yoonie will get you something. Yoongi who was seated on the couch with a sleeping Taehyung stood and walked to the bed.
Uncle Yoonie.
Hey pretty, what deliciousness do you want?
Fish fingers and nana milk.
Coming right up pretty. Just hold on okay. She nodded and he left.
Appa tired.
Appa is just watching over you. When you are well fed, I'll rest baby.
Love you.
Love you so much, baby. You have no idea. She showed him a toothy grin and he smiled. He would be strong just for her.

When she ate, a nurse came in and administered some medicines which made her go back to sleep. He sat with Yoongi and Tae.
Hyung how much money did you pay for the tests and room?
Minie you don't have to worry about that now.
Please. You've helped me so much already. I want to repay you for this.
Tae held his hand, Minie...
Please Tae, I want to feel that I'm trying for my baby. He choked a sob.
The tests and the room are about $4000. Yoongi said. Jimin was speechless. That was a lot of money.
I...I...I don't have that much...
Jimin it's okay. I told you not to worry about it.
I have about two million won for now. I can take more shifts to pay you back. Jimin said already calculating the hours he'd need to work to get the money.

Jimin I don't think you understand the amount of money you'll need for her treatments. Yoongi tried to reason with him. Jimin had yet to see the bigger picture.
But I can't keep depending on you. Jimin shot back.
Maybe not but you need Jungkook. He's the only one apart from us who can afford this.
No. You know she's not exactly safe if I go back. Jimin seethed.

You need him Jimin. If you don't want our help fine, but dial his number now. That little girl needs him. You need him. You'd do anything for her, right? Jimin nodded. We'll be with you always but we cannot give you the emotional support like he can.
Minie baby, hyungie is right. I'm sorry that this is the only way.
Can you at least give me a day to process that my baby has cancer? Jimin said and stood up to go to the bathroom. He locked the door behind him and sat on the toilet.

Just today, I will be weak. Then tomorrow I'll fight tooth and nail for you baby.  He thought crying once again.