Chapter 9

Lily turns the stove off and brings over pots of food. I prep the table and whip my head back to check the clock. A minute has passed. "Bring the cutting board over please." I do as she says and then sit down, my fingers tapping against the armrest. She rolls her eyes with a slight smile on her face, "Athanasia."

"..." I'm staring at the clock ticking by and the door at the same time. How is it possible for the clock to go by so slowly?

"Pft." Lily drops a serving spoon in the pot of steamed jasmine rice. "They will be here soon."

I sigh.

Multiple knocks are heard at the door and then a squeal, "ATHYYY!"

I push my chair back and sprint towards the door, "JETTIE!" She extends her arms and I crash into her, our usual way of embracing. There's a slight sweet smell in her hair that reminds me of home.

"Lily." Uncle Anastacius nods his head in greeting as Lily does the same, "Athanasia. How have you two been?"

Still in a tight embrace, I look back at Uncle with a wide grin, "Not too bad. How have you been, Uncle?" A small smile spreads across his face. Like Daddy, he never showed much expression on his face but he did show his compassion and love through his actions.

"Can't complain."

"Oh Dad... Tell her how miserable everyone is without her there. She was the life of the party!" Jettie is so overwhelmed that she's crying as she's saying this. I am just as messy but I'm more happy than sad. My best friend is here again and it's almost like before.

"Get yourself together Jennette. We're here to comfort Athanasia, not pressure her to come back." His eyebrows wrinkle as he tries to hold back a chuckle. Jennette rolls her eyes at him but holds onto me tighter after she does so.

"Is it working?" Her blue eyes glimmer like a puppy's.

"Yep." I brush her hair out of her face and then hug her head, "How was the trip here?"

"I cannot begin to express how exhausting-"

"The fields here are so pretty!" Jennette interrupts, "I couldn't stop staring the whole way here!"

"I knew you'd love it! If you thought those fields were pretty... then you have to check out my room!"

Lily laughs, "Alright girls... you two can hang out for a bit before the rice is ready-" Jennette and I are already heading up the stairs when Lily says this. Uncle sits down on the couch and rests his head against the armrest, I guess being completely wiped out from the journey here. Come on, it's not even a full day of travel Uncle.

"Where's your room?" Jennette pokes her head over my shoulder as I guide her through the hall and then open the door to the far room which is mine. The sun shines through the curtains to the floor, showing a bright contrast to my bed and desk. My old room was obnoxiously colorful but I tried going for a modern aesthetic this time around.

"So cute!" She says then immediately goes for the window which shows the backyard. Can't blame her. It's absolutely stunning... especially at the end of the day when the sun sets. "It's beautiful."

"I know right?!" I nudged her and grinned, "For free.99 you too could enjoy access to a gorgeous view of my backyard. If you move in now, I am included in this sweet deal."

She bursts out in laughter, "What the heck-" I missed this so much. She doesn't even know half of it.

I glance back outside and stare at the fading sunset. It's almost time for the lights Lily and I set up the other day to flicker on. Three. Two. One.