Chapter 12

"What else is there to say except that he's just a classmate?" I pick up the pedaling once I glance at my phone to check the time. Jennette is calling me even though we stayed up late to talk about Lucas and school. She left yesterday but she's been calling me nonstop. The truth is... I haven't really told her that much but she's been adamant about knowing every excruciating detail.

"Why didn't you tell me about him then?"

"He's quite literally a classmate. Girl. If anything I think of him as more of a bully than a friend." I scoff.

Sounds of things being dropped can be heard through my earbuds. Just what is she doing? She mutters some words and then, "He's been bullying you?!"

"No! I'm just saying that he's a pain in the ass is all. He annoys me." I clarify but I can practically imagine Jennette shaking her head.

"I don't think so." She pauses, "I think he wants your attention."

"Pft. He's a child then."

"Athy."

"I'm late to class because of you and now I have to listen to this nonsense this early in the morning? Hell no."

"You've been cursing a lot more since you've moved young lady." Jennette says in a menacing tone.

"SHIIIT" I miss the light and have to wait for the signal to cross.

"Athy!!!"

"Hehe. That time was on purpose... but I don't have to hold back anymore. There's no one here to stop me from swearing." I swat the sweat off of my face before picking up the pace once more. I can see my school a bit in the distance. I'm almost there... I hope I don't get detention again.

"If only I were there longer, I'd smack you upside the head." She pauses again. I'm guessing that she's thinking about something, "We should have a swear jar."

I scoff. "How would that work?"

"...Huh"

Jennette can be a bit of a dummy sometimes.

"I really have to go now." I lock my bike on the rack and adjust my bag on my shoulder as I make my way towards the entrance of my school.

"Call me tonight please. I still have tons more questions to ask you."

"How are you not in class right now?" The hall monitor glares at me as I talk. Sue me for having a social life I guess. "They're glaring at me, I'll call you later."

"Buh-bye!"

My phone vibrates:

Jennette: Don't forget to call me later and say hi to Lucas for me;-;

I cringe and clear the notification.

The seats fill as I enter my first class. Lucas is sleeping as per usual but Ijekiel greets me with the brightest smile known to man. I shudder and take my seat; a sigh of relief staggers past my lips.

"Made it just in time." I sink into my seat and drop my bag. Ijekiel is nice enough to pick it up for me and place it on its hook, "Thanks."

"No problem." I look around frantically, expecting the teacher to mention the messiness of my uniform, "The teacher is running late."

"Oh." Thank God. I sink into my hands in relief and Ijekiel laughs. As I'm adjusting my uniform, he taps my shoulder tightly.

"Congrats by the way."

"...?" The corner of his eyes crinkle as he smiles. He's so cute. I give Lucas the side eye even though I know he's not looking. If only he were more like Ijekiel, "What do you mean?"