Chapter 11

Lucas places the paperwork neatly over the counter and slides a fine tip pen towards us. Lily clicks the pen and runs it over the paper. I look back up at him. He's leaning on the counter with both of his hands pressed down. His eyes move along while Lily writes.

Lucas leans in towards me and whispers, "What are you going to name him?"

Huh. Haven't really thought of the name until now. I look at my puppy and run my fingers through his black fur. "Blacky?" It comes out more like a question than an answer. It makes Lucas burst out laughing. "What?"

"You're going to name him Blacky? Because he has black fur?"

"What's wrong with that?" I can't help smiling because as annoying as it is to have someone poke fun at me, his laugh is contagious. "What do you think his name should be?"

"What about Lucas?" I slap his arm quietly, so Lily doesn't lecture me about it.

"No way. I'm not naming a cute dog after you."

"..." He pouts and turns his body away from me as if he were really offended.

"Maybe you're right... Blacky is too simple a name for him." I glance over at Jennette who's been staring at us like a lovestruck fool. "Any suggestions Jettie?"

Her eyes expand excitedly, "What about Cutiepie?" I shake my head. "Athy Jr.? Athanettie?" Although those are cute, they don't really fit this cute ball of fluff. Plus... he's a boy.

I look back at Lucas, pleading with my eyes to come up with a name that's at least better than the cheesy ones Jennette just came up with.

"I got it." He snaps his fingers and his lips curl. I narrow my eyes at him suspiciously, "Raven."

"That's... actually a really great name."

"That's a cute name." Jennette adds.

"Let's go with that then."

After a few minutes of signing paperwork, we finally say our goodbyes and part ways with Lucas. He gives me a strange, distant look as we leave. I wave my hand at him and he waves back hesitantly. The bells on the door twinkle as it shuts.

Raven falls asleep in my arms on the way down the street. We walk past couples and children running around the plaza. His ears perk up. He's alert, and his nose is pressed up on my skin at the same time. I love the weight of him in my grasp. How can a puppy be so warm and fuzzy? I haven't felt this warm in so, so long. I can hardly believe he's real but he is because his heart beats so fiercely. 

Jennette runs her fingers gently on his back. My lips twitch and I'm on the verge of tears.

He lifts his head to look over my arm. I glance at the direction he faces.

"Princess!!"

Lucas chases after us. My eyebrows scrunch in confusion. Finally, he's bending over, hands on his knees, catching his breath. I stare at his unkempt hair and the way it bounces over. It's pretty. His hair I mean. It's a sight for sore eyes.

"..." I want to reach out and touch the dark strands poking out. They stick out like the leaves on a pineapple. But I don't... because that would be weird right? I can't get the thought out of my head. I wonder if they're as soft as they look or just sharp. What the hell Athy. Why are you obsessed with his hair right now?

"I uh called... you... forgot this." He hands me my phone, still catching his breath. I don't think we were that far from the store, does he not run much? "Here..."

"My phone. Shit. I mean shoot." Lily whips her head so fast it gives me whiplash. "Thanks Lucas."

"You're welcome..." He smiles. Like a real one. And it's like the world stops for a second. "You're so clumsy and forgetful." then it starts again. His annoying insults. It's like we can't have a moment because it would be too perfect, too wonderful, and too unrealistic. "I guess you'll just have to give me your number."

... Like a loading screen that's lost connection I take a minute to process that. "What?" I scoff in disbelief at the nerve of this guy. "For what?"

"In case you lose your phone again."

"How the hell does that make sense? How would that work?" I'm quite literally flabbergasted at his logic.

"I'll call it and then you'll be able to find it. Duh."

"But that doesn't make sense?" I hand Raven over to Lily and cross my arms, legitimately curious as to his persistence in obtaining my phone number. I wait for him to answer me but his goofy smile turns into a frown as he thinks of a response.

"Just give the poor boy your damn number Athy!" Jennette blurts in frustration and Uncle flinches. 

Not sure why she's that frustrated when I am the one who has to deal with Lucas' crap. What the hell Jennette? I narrow my eyes at her.

"He has a point, Athanasia." Lily chimes in, "What if something bad happens. It's better if he has your number for emergencies."

"Like what?" I narrow my eyes at them both who are acting very odd.

"I don't know... What if you fall down the stairs at school? What if you fall into a hole and no one answers except me? And if you trip-"

"I don't fall that much." I flush.

"Anything could happen, and you might need help. You might need help with Raven or get stranded somewhere. I doubt you have anyone's number at school." He presses. I know what he's trying to say... I don't have any friends at school, so I need a classmates contact. I don't want Lily to know that I don't have friends at school besides Ijekiel and I guess... Lucas. I don't really know what to call him but he's definitely more than just an acquaintance. I'm sure Lily would worry after hearing that I still haven't adjusted to life here.

I sigh, "You are so silly" a laugh escapes my lips because he's finally got me and there's nothing I can do about it, "Here." I hand my phone back after unlocking it and opening up contacts.

His fingers tap on the screen and then he flips it over to me. He nods with a proud smirk on his face, "Well folks. Have a nice rest of your day."

"Bye Lucas!" Jennette's flip has switched from mad to glad, "Hope to see you soon!"

"Cousin." Lucas nods his head at her and then turns over to me. "Princess... see you tomorrow." Then a wink which causes Jettie to ram her shoulder into mine.

"See ya." I mutter with a wave of exhaustion washing over me. After that, Uncle's stare burns into my back as we make our way back to the car. I can tell he too wants to ask about Lucas. They're all quiet as we walk and when we drive back home. He tries to glance at me without me noticing so I look out the window with my chin resting on my arm that's planted on armrest. He must be worried that there's something between Lucas and I. Daddy told me once that Uncle had a severe protective brother mode back when they were children. Ever since he fell into despair, Uncle has tried his best to care for me like Dad would have. Sometimes he acts just like him and it really makes me miss him. I'm sure if Mom were here, she'd knock some sense into him-literally. But she's not.

I hold Raven closer to my chest and let him nibble on my finger. It doesn't hurt, if anything... it's numb. I mumble incoherently, "Mom would have loved you."