Chapter 22: The Call

The long distance run wasn't as thrilling as the relay race. That's for sure... I was already exhausted from running in the relay and now I had to run even more laps.

Helena and I sneak glances at each other. She winks as she drags her feet two lanes over. I nod at her, and then give her a thumbs up.

"Take your positions." The coach sets his timer and takes a breath, "Ready! Set.... Go!"

This time isn't as electrifying or as satisfying. It does feel nice to be alone without all that pressure. The air brushes past my cheeks and through the strands of my hair. It whips back against my neck-in a back and forth motion-and feels loose for once. It tickles a bit.

I clench my fists tightly as I propel my body forward-moving through time. Faster! Faster! Faster! The words repeat in my head, pushing me to go a little bit more. My legs tighten the more I move them. After a few seconds I can feel the heat trail up my neck so I blink and try to focus on the other runners. That's when I notice that there's someone ahead of me! My throat tightens as I breathe in through my nose. It feels like none of it is getting to my lungs.

Don't panic! Focus!

After a few minutes of my lungs battling for air and a few laps later, I see the finish line and there's quite a commotion from what I can see but the thing is... I don't hear a thing. My ears are ringing and my face feels hot. The ankle I sprained weeks ago is throbbing.

I feel like I'm going to pass out any second...

"..." I wipe my eyes with the back of my hand. A few more minutes pass and then a high pitch noise grows louder in the background. A smile spreads as I notice the end getting closer. Just a little more. A little bit more-

The throbbing pain shifts to my head. I feel so lightheaded and dizzy yet there's that metallic taste in my mouth.

Finally, I make it past the coach, stagger a bit, and then I lose my footing. I don't remember much that happens after hitting the ground because I black out.

In my fading line of sight, all I see are familiar, worn-out sneakers.

"ATHANASIA!!!"

.

.

.

.

By the time I wake up, the day is over. Outside the window I can see the last event of the festival-the dance. Not that I was looking forward to it but watching it is so bittersweet.

I basically missed the whole festival and I never even found out the results of the event. Not only am I in the infirmary, there are at least five bandages on each of my limbs. My fingers brush over them lightly.

"Shit...!" They start to sting.

I rest my face against my hands, elbows propped on my knees, and glance out the window. Sigh. The sun is setting... I'm probably missing the fireworks right now. Instead... I'm here and there's no one by my side. "This sucks-"

RING

I flinch at the sound of my ringtone. It sounds louder than it should be, in fact... the sound echoes in the hospital room. Finally, my shaking hands pick up the phone from the nightstand. My eyes widen at the name flashing across the screen. Quickly, I answer it before it stops ringing.

"..." I hold it close to my ear with both of my hands. Please please please please. I beg. Answer. Talk to me. Anything at all! It takes everything in my heart to say the word that I've held back from saying out loud, "Daddy?"