Chapter 6

After showing the girls their rooms, I brought them all to the throne room. The door was finally open. Zuko had hauled himself in that stuffy room for the past two days without even a second thought of going to get fresh air or even sleep. I tried to hide my worries as best as I could, walking in alone. The room was humid and the air was thick, almost enough to make me question if I even wanted to enter in the first place but the second I glanced at Zuko all those horrible feelings went away. All I could think about was trying to be there for Zuko. However, the lingering feeling of pain circulated through my head.

"So the Fire Lord finally has a break from the all day meetings?" I said half jokingly to make it hurt less.

"Love," He said, hugging me tightly,"I'm so sorry about the other night. I know I said we were going to have dinner. But for now at least, the Fire Nation citizens are safe,"

"Zuko," I said, breaking the hug,"I always feel like you're keeping me away from what's hurting you most. I'm here for you to talk to, I always am," I finished brushing the strands of hair away from his face. He looked down apologetically, but there was still a small feeling of withdrawal that worried me.

"You're right," He responded, kissing my forehead then my lips,"I'm sorry"

"You must be so tired these days," I said stroking Zuko's cheeks that had been hollowing out.

The more I looked at Zuko the more it hurt me, the pressures of the throne kept getting to his head. I wished he didn't have to go through so much, why wouldn't he let me help him?

"How-?" He asked.

"Have you even stopped to look in the mirror?" I sighed, looking away,"I've come to realize that the guards haven't been up to par with protecting you. So I asked some good friends to come and help,"

With that Kaito brought in the Kyoshi Warriors making Zuko's tense body relax just a little bit as he bowed to greet them.

"Maybe now you can finally sleep a few hours," Kaito said in a bit of a scolding but annoyed tone.

"Just leave it to us Zuko!" Ty Lee added enthusiastically.

"Thank you," Zuko said, with a smile.

Zuko and I spent the rest of the day together. I asked the cooks to prepare Zuko's favorites, extra spicy fire noodles, meat buns, and vegetable dumplings. Sure it seemed like a lot but Zuko needed it. Besides, good food is always a good idea even when your not feeling sick. Zuko was reluctant to eat at first but he ended up finishing everything he was served, which earned the biggest smile I had seen Secretary Gou make, he was watching us in the royal garden from a distance. I couldn't help but laugh as Zuko let out a gasp of air, realizing how much he actually ended up eating. Kaito had also brewed a special tea at my request, it was meant to help him to destress for at least a few hours.

Once we finished the meal we walked through the royal garden. Zuko and I watched as the flowers swaying gracefully from side to side as we walked past. He used the hand that was holding mine to cover a yawn while he rubbed his eye with the other, so I suggested he should sleep.

"But I want to spend more time with you," He yawned once more,"We haven't been able to be together like this in a long time,"

"I know," I smiled, opening the door to his room,"But we have plenty of time to do that in the future,"

"Should I ask Secretary Gou to let you stay in my room permanently?" He whispered slowly, falling asleep,"Then we'll be together more often,"

I laughed, poking his cheek,"What will the court officials say then?" I went down to whisper in his ear,"I might as well be a royal consort if that day comes,"