Chapter 19

We finished tea after finding out what we could about Lady Ursa's past. As we walked out I realized the sun had already set and that the others were already getting a bit tired.

"Noren and Noriko, you've been more than generous. Thank you for the information," Zuko said and we all bowed. Well all of us minus Azula of course, she couldn't have cared less.

"We greatly appreciate the hospitality you've shown us," I added.

"You'll both come again, right?" Kiyi asked in a begging tone while pulling on Zuko's sleeve,"Please please please?"

"I really hope so, Kiyi," Zuko smiled taking my hand.

"Me too," I added,"If we ever happen to cross paths again,,, I'll get you a gift. How's that?"

"Really?!" Kiyi asked excitedly.

I laughed, nodding to the little girl. Knelling down, softly pushing her hair out of her face and booping her nose.

"Definitely,"

Zuko and I waved to the kind family, walking away and back to Appa. Zuko caringly placed his arm around me, a small laugh left our lips taking in the peaceful time we spent with the family that we had just left. 

"Well we've got another lead," I hummed.

Zuko simply nodded, pulling me a bit more ahead then the others so we could feel a little more alone.

"We're getting closer," Zuko said with a smile,"I can just feel it," His eyes sparkled every time his mother was mentioned when it was just the two of us. It made me feel happy to see him like this.

Before I could reply Azula spoke up from behind us,"Ugh. More than once tonight I was tempted to burn that whole place down!" She stated,"But I resisted for you Zuzu, I hope you appreciated it,"

"How could you even think that about such a lovely family?" Katara asked, clearly offended.

"Oh please," Azula replied in a scoff,"Their charade disgusted me. Nobody's that happy!"

"Aang and I are that happy!" Katara replied.

"Because you two are idiots," Azula retorted.

I sighed turning around to face the two prickly girls.

"Just keep walking you two," I said, sounding almost like an order, tilting my head a bit to the side. 

"Stay out of this Kya!" The two of them shouted in unison.

Alright then. I shook my head, removing myself from the scuffle happening behind me before I did something I probably shouldn't do. It was already enough that Azula got on my nerves I didn't want to handle both her and my sister who reacts to her remarks more aggressively then I do. I walked back to Zuko who reached his hand back out for mine.

"I'm sorry I blew up at you this morning. It's hard for me to wrap my head around all this,,, I can't imagine what it's like for you," Aang said apologetically, walking to us,"Even so, I don't think we should try and find Ikem,"

"Aang," I said trying to stop him from continuing.

"This is gonna sound harsh, but it's best if he stays lost to history," Aang looked to both me and Zuko,"We'll burn the letter when we get a change and,--"

"I don't have the letter anymore. Azula took it back," Zuko said calmly cutting Aang off. 

"And you let her?!" Aang said both concerned and annoyed.

"We'll figure out everything else out later, including where,," Zuko softly tightened his grip on my hand,"And who,, I'm supposed to be,"

"What do you mean,"Who you're supposed to be"?!" Aang asked angrily.

"Aang," I said chimed in,"Don't you think we should actually confirm if the letter is true or not? The only way we can do that is by finding Ikem,"

I didn't want the letter to be true, but even then I didn't want to stop trying to find the real truth. There was just an irking feeling there's so much to this that we didn't know. All this information that we didn't know,,, I wanted Zuko to know everything. He deserved to know, as Lady Ursa's son.

"Listen to me!" Aang replied in a bit of a hiss,"When people come to Zuko's throne room and bow, their not bowing to you," He pointed to Zuko,"They're bowing to what you represent: A new era of Love and Peace!"

That stung me like a bee. It's putting the words of Zuko's speech when he was coronated back into our faces, and he had a point. 

"So it doesn't matter who your real dad is. You have to stay Fire Lord!"

I groaned. I was so lost in trying to help find Ursa that I almost forgot Zuko wanted to give up the throne now that theres a chance he wasn't Ozai's son. I wanted to trust Zuko's decision, whatever it would be in the end even if I was still worried. But I also knew Zuko, and knew deep down he wasn't going to leave such a serious responsibility. He promised to help the world. I just needed to trust both him and myself.

"You're not Fire Lord for you,,, you're Fire Lord for all of us," Aang looked at me, who was just confused at what to think, and it didn't matter what happened in the end. I just wanted to find Ursa for Zuko's sake. I didn't want to think about Zuko no longer being Fire Lord, or the harmony we were working so hard to ensure to be gone,"Kya, you should know this too. You shouldn't go with this,"

"I don't know," I replied,"Aang has a point, what will the world become if you aren't Fire Lord? But I also think--"

"How much longer do you expect to keep this crew together, Zuko?" Sokka interrupted with a worried tone,"I give it another two minutes tops before something's either on fire or encased in ice,"

I sighed, losing my train of thought,"Stop fighting you two!"

I walked to the two of them, they were bickering like cat and dog. I pulled Katara away only for her to glare at me then back to Azula. It made me realize they were the same age when the two kept yelling at each other in the same tone while I tried my best to drag Katara father away. Katara struggled in my grasp at first but then just let me drag her since I was stronger. I took a deep breath and wrapped my arm around her.

"It's not like arguing with her is going to get us anywhere," I whispered,"But if it gets too much I'll handle her ok,"

"Fine," She rolled her eyes.

"My what a rude sister I have," I joked, earning myself a nudge from Katara.

"Let's go before everyone else leaves us," Katara smiled. I nodded as we rushed to catch up with the others who were now ahead of us. 

We set up camp once more to sleep. I stayed up this time, wondering what to do about Zuko.  I was conflicted. I didn't want him to step down, but he seemed so happy to think that maybe he could be free of the throne. He was worried about me too, thinking I'm not happy with the time we spent in the palace. While sure it wasn't the same as traveling around the world and going on an adventure every day I never hated it. In fact I enjoyed it. I wasn't trapped like Zuko thought I was, he was looking at how I felt subjectively. Maybe because he still didn't fully trust himself in his role as Fire Lord. Or maybe because of his mother. It wasn't a secret he sometimes still felt like he wasn't capable enough to be Fire Lord.

Arms wrapped around my body, scaring me. I slightly jumped in place only to hear a little snicker I knew all too well. It was Zuko, breaking my worries and just embracing me.

"Can't sleep?" Zuko whispered, trying not to wake anyone.

"We both know it's an occasional occurrence," I hummed, kissing him.

He nuzzled his face into my neck not breaking our hug,"You should really sleep Kya,"

"Should I really?" I replied in a slightly teasing tone.

Zuko turned me around, squishing my cheeks before pulling me into his chest.

"Yes," He snickered again,"You should,"

I laughed a bit before curling myself, still leaning on his chest. He placed a kiss on the top of my head and patted softly it to help me sleep quicker. I smiled before falling asleep on him.