Chapter 23

Noriko kindly offered us food, without a single reply we were given a bowl of rice. Zuko and I of course were simply lost in thought the entire time so we didn't touch the amazing smelling food. Meanwhile, Kiyi was happily eating her meal now that her mother placed the hairpin on her.

"So do you like it?" I asked, wishing I had something better to offer the sweet 5 year old instead of a hairpiece that brought me back memories of a time I wasn't too fond of.

"Of course," She smiled brightly,"You gave it to me,"

My heart. I simply took a deep breath, Kiyi being young and unaware of everything happening somehow helped me feel a bit calmer. However, that feeling of confusion simply lingered on the goosebumps along my arm as I waited for someone end this dreaded silence that had begun. 

"You both haven't touched your food yet," Noriko said, placing her chopsticks down,"Is something wrong?"

"Do you do this every night?" Zuko immediately replied.

"What, eat dinner?" Kiyi asked,"Doesn't everybody eat dinner every night?"

"No, I meant eat dinner together, like this," Zuko corrected.

"Yes, of course," Noriko said with a smile,"That's why we're eating so late. I insisted we wait until Noren came home,"

"I appreciate that dear. Rehearsal ran over," Noren replied.

"So what brings you two back this way?" Noriko asked causing me to quietly take another deep breath,"Looking for more details on the Hira'a acting troupe?"

"No. I came to find-" Zuko paused, almost bringing up the past to his mother, who doesn't even remember him. Looking to me, with his golden eyes, and then down and back to who only we both knew to be his mother,"Tell me Noriko are you happy?"

"What an odd thing to ask!" She said confused.

"Just answer me. Please," Zuko almost begged.

"Yes, of course I am, I'm where I belong," Noriko smiled brightly. 

In that moment she truly looked happy, it almost made me feel sad for wanting to bring up the fact she doesn't remember her own son who was sitting right in front of her. Or her daughter, who's lost herself in blaming her. I simply glanced to Zuko who smiled brightly, accepting that his mother was happy. 

"We bothered you folks enough," Zuko said getting up and holding his hand out for me to stand "Have a good evening,"

"Thank you for letting us be in your company once more," I politely bowed, a part of me still wishing to tell the truth.

"No. Stop," Noren spoke up as we walked towards the door,"Noriko, I knew this moment would come sooner or later,"

"What's going on?" Noriko asked.

Zuko simply stopped, causing the both of us to turn around. As much as I wanted Zuko to stay as Fire Lord, I couldn't stop here. Deep down, I just wanted everyone to know the truth. Not just us. 

"Go ahead young man, do what you came here to do," Noren directed to Zuko,"Tell her you haven't forgotten who you are,"

Zuko looked at me once more, a small nod was all he needed for him to speak up,"My name is Zuko. I am Lord of the Fire Nation,,,And I am your son,"

"When I saw you in the crowd I recognized you immediately because of your scar. I had learned all that I could about Ursa's life in the royal palace. I knew it would come back to haunt us someday," Noren said apologetically and bowed to the person who now stood before him as Fire Lord, "Forgive me for not confessing the whole truth when you and your friends were here, Fire Lord. I had hoped to give you enough information to satisfy you, yet still protect my home here with Ursa,"