Chapter 7

I couldn't stop being anxious the entire run to the royal prisons. If I had to be completely honest with myself, I never wanted to meet this man in my entire life. I blamed him for everything, for the events of Ba Sing Se, for upsurging the throne from Iroh, for what he did to Zuko, Lady Ursa, and to Azula. But I couldn't shake the feeling of needing to confront Ozai, for better or for worse he was still Zuko's father. Once I got to the door of Ozai's cell I managed to calm myself down at least a little bit. Taking a deep breath I walked in. The smell of sweat and musk filled my lungs as Zuko's father sat in the middle of the cell. An eerie feeling entered me as he lifted his head to see me. I watched him, expressionlessly to hide my anger. I can't break infront of him.

"So your the savage that came and seduced my son," The man smirked,"I can't believe my daughter was foolish enough to trust you even for a second,"

"Tell me," I said, keeping my chin up,"What did you tell Zuko?"

"I only told him how to do his job. The pressures of the throne seem to be doing a number on him,"

I clenched my fists. Annoyance echoed through my mind to know that Ozai even in prison would shoot his shot to still try and control Zuko.

"And it seems like you've done little to help him bear the weight,"

I coldly glared at him, knowing he was just trying to get to my head too.

"You don't know what I do and don't do for Zuko," I replied,"I can only imagine the things you've done to him over the years. I'm sure to believe everything I've done for Zuko is much more then what you've done,"

Memories of the past year repeated in my head, countless times I faced off with people who wanted this very man back on the throne. The attempts on Zuko's life, and knowing Ozai also almost took Zuko's too when he was just a kid. Banishing him. Scarring him. Making him believe he wasn't strong enough to face the challenges ahead. I was enraged at him, for also going after the Earth Kingdom. For actually believing he could rule the world under ashes and fear.

"The Fire Nation must be intimidating for someone like you. This is a completely different world then the ice land you grew up in," He sneered looking into my eyes, taking in every detail of my cold expression,"The act you put up won't last in my nation,"

"It isn't your nation anymore," I stated with a small smirk,"Its Zuko's,"

"My son is weak," He spat.

"So are you," I hissed,"Be lucky the Avatar spared your life and stop trying to feed Zuko your nonsense,"

"Oh," Ozai said,"All I can do is open my mouth to him. It's my sons choice to see if he takes the advice I give him. And I'm sure he doesn't even know the person he loves most is seeing paying me a visit. Think, how can he trust you if you aren't honest with him?," He smirked,"No wonder our poor Zuko is suffering so much,"

The more time I spent here the angrier I became. It's Zuko who's been hiding things from me not the other way around. He's baiting me and even if he's winning I won't give him the satisfaction of a win.

"Know your place Ozai!" I ordered.

"Where is my place exactly?"

"You. Here. In this cell, away from any glimpse of the real world. Where you rot for all the crimes you've committed against the world and if you ever try to manipulate Zuko again-," Ozai had cut me off.

"Do you really think I can't make what happened to your mother happened to you as well?"

In that moment I realized Ozai was afraid. He was threatening me, to try and advert his fear to me. He wanted me to be afraid of him because he knew he couldn't actually do anything to me, and that's exactly what I needed to know about this pathetic man.