Chapter 33

"Kya!" Aang called out," You have to see this! The entire village looks so — different,"

I quickly closed the book I was reading to see Aang still waving for my attention. It had only been a couple days since we left the Fire Nation, and although it was sad to leave the others behind I couldn't have been happier. It had been so long since I had been home that just the thought of coming back would create a child-like smile on my face. It was actually embarrassing when everyone caught onto my excitement but it was home after all, nothing could change that. And knowing that the reconstruction was going well, along with the plans to extract a large deposit of oil that was found underground to start international trade — it was all proof that the Southern Water Tribe wasn't just some village that the people could slander and disgrace, we were still a nation.

I leaned over Appa's saddle and he was right, if anything the village had become a large city. I could feel my eyes slightly water, the home I grew up in was completely gone, but it was replaced with something I could have only dreamed about as a child. An amazing, inexplicable feeling of both happiness and loss caused goosebumps to grow on my skin.  Although, it could've also been from the sheer cold.

Taking a deep breath, I smiled,"Looks like there's a festival going on,"

" Come on Appa! Katara and Chief Hadoka are at the entrance!" Aang announced.

Appa roared loudly, descending straight towards the two on the ground. Happy to finally be able to rest from flying for so long.

"Dad!" I yell out, jumping off Appa and rushing to him," I'm sorry I'm late,"

He immediately wrapped his arms around me, not only returning the tight hug but lifting me off the ground and spinning me around. I was a stunned, forgetting dad was so strong. It was almost as if I weighed less than a feather.

"You have nothing to be sorry about. Just look around, we couldn't have gotten this far without your help," He smiled," I should actually be thanking you,"

I shook my head in a small laugh as he put me down again. Softly rubbing my shoulder from the suffocating hug, being unable to contain my smile. All that work, the sleepless nights, it was all paying off. I was finally home again.

"Avatar Aang," Dad bowed, shaking off the giddiness he had when greeting me.

"Good to see you, Chief Hakoda!" Aang said, returning the bow.

"Actually, its Head Chieftain Hakoda now," Katara informed.

"Really?! You're Head Chieftain?!" I said, surprised.

"Why do you sound so shocked?" He asked, jokingly crossing his arms.

"I'm just happy for you that's all," I replied.

"Congratulations Head Chieftain Hakoda, Sir!" Aang added.

"Please Aang, just call me Hakoda, but thank you," Dad smiled, patting my head to purposely try and mess up my hair causing me to groan. 

"Dad-" I whined before noticing more warriors joining the barricade that was formed outside the entrance to the city. It was concerning, I hadn't seen this many people protecting the village since the last raid on the Tribe.

"What's going on?" Aang asked, looking around," How come you guys are out here?"

"Just playing it safe," Dad answered, trying to shrug off the urgency the group were portraying, "Nothing my officers and I can't handle, why don't you two go enjoy the festival?"

"Thanks dad," Katara said, walking off with Aang.

"I'll catch up with you two in a bit," I said before turning back to Dad, "The south has changed so much,"