Chapter 30

Regardless of how many times they had tried the doors remained locked. The only result was that the area continued to grow hotter with the powerful flames that were continuously blasted, enough to draw a drop of sweat down the side of my face. Seconds continued to pass, and suddenly there was a slight feeling of tension growing in the air. Causing Zuko, Aang and Kaito to stop and turn to each other.

"Nothing," Zuko sighed out in annoyance.

"Huh. Maybe one if we give it more try-" Aang replied, rather unsure of what to do.

Finally, almost as if he grew tired of standing around doing nothing, Kei Lo yelled at the three and impatiently headed towards one of the dragon heads, "You've given it, like, twenty tries already! My turn."

"I didn't know you could firebend, Kei Lo!" Aang said.

"I can't." Kei Lo replied in a matter-of-fact tone,"Mai, can I borrow four of your throwing knives?"

Mai glanced at him oddly then reluctantly handed him a knife, at the flick of the wrist there was now a blade pointed at Kei Lo. A small smile grew on his face as he gladly took the knife and turned to the dragons head once more and stick the knife inside of the large nose.

"If you three had taken the time to study the dragons-- instead of just blasting away-- you would've notice the the locking mechanisms aren't in the dragons' mouths." He explained.

"Wait, you're gonna pick the dragons' noses? That seems awfully disrespectful. Not to mention gross," Aang interjected, looking disgusted at the fact Kei Lo had the idea of playing around with the lock inside of the dragon to begin with.

"We don't really have time for formalities here Aang," Kaito sighed, stretching her arms upward.

"Besides, it's better to let him try instead of just hoping that the doors are going to suddenly open ," I added, crossing my arms, observing the way Kei Lo continued to pick at the dragons nose.

"Babe, can you help me out here?" Kei Lo quickly turned to ask Mai.

"Sure,"

"Babe?" Aang asked in a whisper.

"You're not really one to talk Aang." Zuko said.

"What does that mean?" He immediately replied.

"You and Katara are the same," I added with a bit of a laugh as Kaito nodded.

"I- you know what thats- fair." Aang shrugged after failing to defend himself. Knowing that he didn't act any different when it came to my sister.

Loud clicking noises began coming from the dragons as Kei Lo shouted, "Now!"  Causing me to flinch as rumbling followed, however, the doors slowly prayed open. Dust emerged from the dark corridor imitating smoke as we entered.

"Well, look at that!" Aang said excitingly, leading everyone into the continuation of the hall, "You were right, Zuko! The mural keeps going!"

No lights decorated the walls like they did before the doors had opened so Zuko, Aang, and Kaito had to light our path as we carefully examined the murals for any clues. Every exhale was welcomed with more dust cumulating the still humid air, even the temperature of the hall was much co,def than what it once was. We all continued walking deeper as a few exchanged in small talk, mostly it being Mai and Kei Lo conversing amongst each other. I didn't mind it, in fact it was a bit relieving at how relaxed Mai seemed with Kei Lo, especially considering how stressed Mai must've been feeling these days, so I kept my silence as to not interrupt to two.

"Oh, look, more of Zuko's cranky ancestors." Mai said looking as a mural to the right causing Kei Lo laugh.

"They don't all look cranky." Aang said nervously, hoping Zuko wouldn't somehow be bothered by that statement, showing the other mural to the left, "This guy's more stoic," He then paused to think before turning to Zuko," How many Fire Lords were there?"