Chapter 29

I watched as Zuko, Kaito and Aang left not noticing that I had chosen to stay back. Feelings of frustration started to brew as I opened my mouth.

"Mai," I said with a glare," I stayed quiet hoping that'd you'd finally tell Zuko the truth yourself but if this happens one more time,,, I won't hesitate from doing what it takes to stop your father,"

"Your dad ought to be arrested! Why would you lie about his involvement with the New Ozai Society?" Kei Lo asked immediately after.

"Because he's right," Mai replied angry at herself, "If I hadn't brought Tom-Tom to live with me, maybe none of this would've happened. Our home was big and boring,,, but it was also safe," Looking away from my gaze she slightly gritted her teeth.

"Mai, you really think your father could've done anything different?" I replied," Your one of the strongest fighters I know what happened last night has nothing to do with how capable you are at protecting your family. But your father ha/ attempted to take the life of Zuko's family and I,,, you really think that's the kind of person Tom-Tom should grow up with?"

"Kya you don't understand,, My dad could have protected him," She hesitated.

"You know what I think. You just feel guilty, and that's clouding your judgment Mai," I hissed and walked out to find Zuko.

Zuko was all the way down the hall while I slowly walked to catch up to him and Aang. Kaito suddenly caught up with me from behind.

"Where were you?" I asked.

"Giving Ukano a piece of my mind," Kaito replied, still annoyed,"Why aren't you with Zuko and Aang?" She questioned.

Hearing small murmurs from Mai and Kei Lo from behind us I couldn't help but sigh out a small laugh.

"I was giving Mai a piece of my mind," I answered.

"I don't blame you," Kaito said quickly, glancing back to our friend who was currently giving us both a headache.

Once we got on Appa my stress had reduced just slightly. The clean winds bushing the stray hairs out of my face as I leaned against Appa's saddle brought a small smile to my face. My eyes slowly averted to Zuko and Kaito who were also enjoying the small relatively calm moment while Mai and Kei Lo awkwardly sat next to us.

Once we landed I took a deep breath once more, and so the brief moment of peace is now over.

"Whoa. What is this place?" Kei Lo asked in astonishment at the giant structure.

"The Fire Sage Capital Temple," Mai, Kaito and I said in unison causing the three of us to look at each other awkwardly.

"You've been here before Mai?" Sora asked.

"Once," Mai replied nonchalantly," Someone thought it'd be romantic to share a meal over the burial of his ancestors, but then decided to never show up,"

Zuko quickly looked down almost as if he was apologizing for even making that idea up back then. Clearing my throat a bit too loudly, I walked into the courtyard of the temple gesturing for the others to follow.

"So! You guys! How about we," Aang struggled to speak at the rising awkwardness," Y'know get going on the, uh,, whatever it is we came here to do?!"

"Great Sage Shyu!" Zuko called out to the man who was walking the Temple grounds.

"Fire Lord! Lady Kaito! Maiden of the sea and Avatar!" Great Sage Shyu happily greeted,"What a pleasant surprise!"

"Great Sage Shyu," I smiled, returning the same enthusiasm he showed us.