Chapter 1: Welcome To Japan

"Caterina, you're the only one I can trust with the business. Please understand," my father told me sighing and bringing his hands together before closing his eyes.

"But, papa! You know I don't have any passion for cooking," I protested.

"I know. Trust me, I know. But you've got the skills to be a great chef so I also know that you will be able to handle our family business."

"But...papa...you know my dream is to be an artist! Are you not supporting me like mama?" My eyes were pleading to him but it looks like he's made up his mind.

"I want you to achieve your dreams. I truly do. But I also want the best for you. And that is taking over our family business." My father removed his hands from each other and held mine and looked up to make eye contact with me.

"I know you don't understand my decision yet. But someday, you will." He smiled and stood up before sitting in the chair in front of me.

"H-how can you do this? What do you know about what's best for me? This is my life! Not yours!" My eyes teared up, upset that my father is really forcing me.

"Because I am your father. I'm sorry but this for the best, okay?" He caressed my cheeks and wiped the tears that fell from my eyes.

"Now, hurry along. Pack your things. Your brother will be waiting for you at the airport. I'll see you in breaks."

I left without a second thought, too bothered that my parents aren't suppotive of my dreams.

...

I was walking towards the limo when a voice called me.

"Caterina," it called me. Naturally, I turned around and stood there was my mother who despite being in her early 40s only looked like she was in her mid 20s.

"Did you finally open your eyes and use your head?" She harshly asked.

My mother has always been strict and kept on forcing me to take the family business, saying that my dreams with art are a waste of time and money.

Meanwhile, my father supported me until recently. He suddenly changed his mind and forced me to go against what I want, threatening me that he not allow me to leave the house if I continue what I want.

He'll lock me up and make me study culinary in there. I didn't want that even more neither did I want to runaway or be disowned so I chose the other option.

"Mama, please. Not today," I said fidgeting with my bag.

"Then when, Caterina? You're finally a step ahead of your stupid brother and yet you look like you're the one who was taken away an opportunity of a lifetime!" mother said, pointing at me.

I creased my forehead and stopped fidgeting and looked at my mother in the eye. "You're making it sound like I wanted more for myself. I was happy with what I had before. Besides, don't call him stupid."

She rolled her eyes. "It doesn't matter whether you want this or not. It's already happening! These are my dreams for you! Not that bullshit art! You'll never get anywhere with that!"

"It doesn't matter? Are you my mother or what? Because a mother would support her child's dreams! Not insult it! It matters whether I want this or not because this is my life! If I wasn't scared that I'll become the reason why papa will have a heart attack, I wouldn't have agreed to this! My dreams are not bullshit! Someday, I will be able to become a famous artist and you'll take your words back!" I left the area leaving my mother fuming and frustrated with me.