Chapter 19: An Option

I went home with a peaceful mind and a happy heart. I've never felt so calm and joyful before.

It was like how the moon tamed the raging waves everytime it was around. Its simple touch onto the pristine waters sent the waves to become ease with the moon's guidance.

But why did I feel so calm? Why do I feel things like this? Should I ask my brother about it?

The week passed by quickly and the day of the final round began. The proctor of the final round is the headmaster himself, Nakiri Senzaemon.

"Good morning, students, teachers, judges, and guests of Tōtsuki," he greeted after raising his hand in the air. "I can feel the invisible passion you each have for your cooking and I couldn't help but be proud of each one of you. All of you are already winners."

I smiled at the headmaster's last comment.

"Let’s not beat around the bush. Let the final round of the Spring elections begin!" With a wave of his hand, drums rang in the stadium and Kawashima-kun introduced the judges.

"The judges of the final round! First up, the head of Tōtsuki Resorts and Hotel, Dojima Gin!" Dojima-san smiled to the loud crowd and sat on his chair.

"Second up, Nakiri Sōe, the son of our very own headmaster and the founder of Nakiri International!" A male who looks like to be in his late 30s or early 40's with dark hair and dark eyes appeared and sat down on his chair without any greeting to the crowd cheering for him.

So he's the headmaster's only son?

"Finally, our very own headmaster, Nakiri Senzaemon!" The old man walked to his seat with pride and grace and sat down.

Then, the headmaster instructed us what to do. "Use the meat you have gained from the second round. We have preserved it. Cook a dish to impress us with no limits and additional conditions. The only thing you should know is that you have approximately 4 hours and will also have to serve us a dessert!"

Just 4 hours? I'm doomed...

...

I cooked and baked at the same time. I did all that with my maximum speed and I barely made it in time to be able to plate my dish. Just as I thought, I'm not cut out for cooking!

I laid three plates in a serving tray followed by three smaller plates and three cups. Then, suddenly and so perfectly the timer rang off.

"Time's up! Please serve your dishes!" The announcer said in her loud voice.

I watched as my fellow competitors served their dishes and stood by waiting for the comments of the judges.

Akashi-kun made a delicious and savory Menudo which she paired with a Bionico. Both foods were commented to bring you to a paradise where animals and fruits are everywhere and embracing you.

On the other hand, Fukuda-kun made a Pork Shogayaki and a bitter and sweet Dorayaki. The flavors of the foods mixed well together and were described to bring you back in the time of your best moments, high school.

After them, I came up next and last. I walked with precision and grace to the judges despite the tension that I feel.

"My dish is a classic roasted Venison which I turned into a soup afterwards. To make my Italian culture prominent to this dish, I added cheese into the soup."

I placed the three plates in front of them with a tiny smile on my face and gestured for them to taste it. They nodded their heads and I continued to explain my dish.