Chapter 16: A Success

When the announcement that I have passed along with the 9 students and will compete in the third round, I rapidly went home.

After resting for a bit, I prepared a dish to cook tomorrow before going to bed.

The next day I went early to the stadium and eagerly prepared the things I needed for the third round when a certain boy who has beautiful sapphire orbs appeared in front of my station.

"Ohayo, Moretti-san. You're the first one here," Tsukasa-senpai said then smiled.

I returned back a smile before greeting him too. "Ohayo, senpai. I see you're here. Are you here as a proctor or as the supporter of Fukuda-kun?"

He rubbed his neck, anxious for a reason I did not know. "A-about that, I'm sorry I wasn't able to support you. There were some problems at the council...but I-I really wanted to support you!"

I creased my forehead before pinching Tsukasa-senpai's elbows. "Tsukasa-senpai! As much as I'm grateful that you support me, please support Fukuda-kun! He worked hard to be here so if you say such things to make me feel better I'll feel guilty and sad for my friend."

An unknown reaction flashed before my senpai's icy blue eyes before it quickly vanished and was replaced with confusion. What was that?

"Friend? When did you become friends?" He said with a tone I didn't recognize. He seemed to want to hide something from me by the tone he was speaking with too.

"Well...I became friends with him and Akashi-kun yesterday. We overcame the hunting obstacle all together yesterday," I explained. "Are you alright, senpai? You look off today."

"H-huh? What are you talking about? I'm completely fine. May be just a little tired from the work in the council but I'm fine," He denied, shaking his hands in every direction.

"Really? There's something really different from you today. But none the matter! If you're really busy, after the competition, I'll come by and help you," I offered.

He accepted my offer and was about to leave when he left a statement to me that made me feel uneasy.

"It's not good to have friends in a battle. It'll do you good to stay on track and focus on yourself. But hey, you know what they say. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."

He left after giving me a closed-eyed smile. That doesn't seem like the Tsukasa-senpai I know. What's wrong with him?

...

The proctor of the third round was revealed to be Megishima Tōsuke. He made us draw from a bowl filled with different small papers that contained an ingredient which we need to have in our dish.

Luckily, I've prepared for such an outcome. I drew the ingredient, rice. Rice is a staple in many different dishes, especially in Asia. I got lucky to have drawn a dish that can suit the meat I have.

Then so, I began to cook.

...

"Douzo. Bon appétit." I smiled despite weariness filling me from the amount of work I've put into my dish.

"Explain your dish," the judge and headmaster, Nakiri Senzaemon said, an eyebrow raised.

I sighed, very tired and sleepy. "My dish is a lamb centered dish. I call it, "Italian Lamb Tagine: A one-two to fusion of Asian and European cuisine."

Yeah, I was so tired I couldn't think of a better name. But I tried and yeah, I tried- Nope! My dignity as an artist is over!

He took a bite and then so did his fellow judges, Chapelle-sensei, and Dojima-san.

I bit my lip and fiddled with my fingers as I wait for their reactions and judgements. I'm so nervous!

When Chapelle-sensei and Dojima-san looked up at me, their eyes sparkled in delight relieving me a bit.

"The rice is so flavor! It's packed with buttery goodness and spiciness that mixes well together!" Dojima-san commented.

With a huge grin, Chapelle-sensei nodded. "The lamb is tender. It's delicate and savory yet it has a hint of sweetness. This dish truly sums up your knowledge of Asian and European cuisine!"

I felt elation fill my senses and I smiled, a smile that reaches 'till the corner of my eyes.

Then, when I looked at the headmaster, he was already bare chested.

"Your skills are truly amazing. You have brought up your knowledge with Indian and Japanese cuisine with the spices you've used and the sakura you have added to this dish. Not ending with just Asian culture, you have added European cuisine into this meal! A once normal Moroccan dish has turned Italian with the tomatoes and cheeses you've brushed into this masterpiece! You're truly an enchantress built from fusion cuisine!"

The smile on my face has dimmed down but I still feel happy that I've satisfied someone with my dish. This time, all on my own.

Dojima-san pointed to their plates that were already finished. "Eating the dish you created brings you to a world of flavor and youth."

"It was like showering in the rain with your friends after a day at the festival! Unexpected yet joyous!" Chapelle-sensei added.

"Now, my dear judges please cast your votes! A score of 95 points and above out of 150 will grant Moretti-san a ticket to the finals!" Kawashima-kun stated.

The judges looked at each other before nodding and my uneasiness once again returned. I looked away, scared to see their scores for me.

"W-woah! With that score, Moretti-san have obtained a secured ticket to the last round! Congratulations and good luck!"

I looked back slowy and my eyes couldn't believe what they saw. "140 points?! Is this real?!"

I heard a chuckle so I raised my head and saw the headmaster chuckling at me. "Yes. It is real. Don't doubt yourself. Go ahead and prepare for the next round. Don't forget to enjoy time with your family and rest."

I wanted to hug them out of joy but that would be too embarrassing so I just bowed my head to them and ran to my brother who has his hands opened.

"Ni-ssan!" I embraced him tightly and he spun me around while smiling.

"Congratulations, Cat! You did it! I'm so proud of you!" He brought me down and poked my forehead.

My parents were walking down to us when Tsukasa-senpai and Rindou-senpai appeared before Hiroto and I.

"Congrats, Caterina!" Rindou-senpai greeted me with a thumbs up that I happily returned her gesture after thanking her.

"Congratulations, Moretti-san. I knew you could do it," Tsukasa-senpai gave me a soft smile. This is the Tsukasa-senpai I know.

For some unknown reason, my heart was beating really fast and butterflies are roaming in my stomach. What's this feeling? It happened last time during the modelling shoots too.

I returned back his smile and took his hand. I held it and gave him another closed-eyed smile.

"Couldn't have done it without your trust, senpai. Thank you for being the first person in this school who supported me!"

The warm Spring air went pass us, not before engulfing us with its gentle and soft embrace.

Tsukasa-senpai looked away and replied, stuttering. "U-ugh...w-well...you did that on your o-own! I-I'm proud of...you!"

The smile on my face grew wider and the feelings I couldn't comprehend became stronger.

I went on my tippy-toes to reach Tsukasa-senpai and poked his forehead.

"Join us for dinner?" His beautiful blue eyes widened in surprise before slowly nodding his head.

"Great! See you later, Tsukasa-senpai!"

"See you later, Caterina..."