Chapter 1 : A Sad Melon

My skin had begun to redden under the heated water covering my waist. I swear, warm baths in the night time is the most relaxing thing ever, especially on rough days like this one. I haven't been feeling the best, I've been worried about Melony. Lately she's seemed a little.. distant. She seemed to avoid certain topics, especially about what happened these past two years. I don't blame her, these past events have really gotten out of hand. My whole possession fiasco, that lovesick and the delusional robots, Niles, and Melony's alternate. I can only imagine the shit she's seen. I slowly let myself sink into the not-so-deep water below me. I think for a long time. About what I would be if I hadn't met my friends, how my original goals had changed over time, stuff like that. I sigh and stand up as the water drips from my gills. Turning over toward the bathroom mirror as I grab a towel, I see a reflection of the new me. At that moment I felt the urge to put a finger into my missing eye hole and see how far it goes, but I shook my head and scrubbed the towel against my body and putting on the pajamas I set up to wear once I dried off. Outside stood a small human child, long brownish-black hair and reddish-pink eyes with freckles all over her face.
"Hey, look what I drew, daddy!"
Sarah, a 6 year old girl we had adopted a while back. She has no memory of her biological parents, we just.. found her one day. At the time, she was cradling a baby girl, her younger adoptive sister Brandy. She mentioned how her foster parents were attacked by a woman who claimed that she was looking for someone. When we told her to describe the woman, she didn't tell us, she only said that she didn't remember what she looked like and she and Brandy were the only survivors of the attack. It took her some time to recover. She lifted up a piece of paper with a drawing colored with crayon, it was of herself. I smile at her. "That's lovely, Sarah. Why don't you head along to bed, it's starting to get late."
"Okay."
She waddled off toward her bedroom. I swear, she reminds me of a baby penguin when she waddles. I mean, she does like penguins it seems. Whenever she would watch T.V., she would always ask to watch animal documentaries, and she would get ecstatic to see penguins on screen. It's very cute, it reminds me of myself when I was little seeing Splatfests on T.V. I walk off toward mine and Melony's room. She's laying in bed, staring off at a window. I sit down beside her, looking over at her with a concerned expression on my face.
"How are you doing?"
"I'm okay."
"You sure? You know you can talk to me, right?"
She looks up at me before resting her head on my lap. I stroke my fingers through her hair, occasionally fiddling with it into small braids.
"I'm just having a bit of trouble."
"Trouble with what?"
"Trusting life."
I chuckle. "Oh yeah?"
"Mhm. It seems right as we're happy, something has to happen."
"I know. I get it. But I dont think we should just sit around and mope all over the place. Hey, tell me something I can tell you to make you feel better."
"That we can always be together through the toughest things.."
"Were we not?"
We both laugh. I smile at her.
"Listen, I dont plan on dying anytime soon. Not then, not now."
She adjusts her position to where she is now fully sitting on my lap and resting her head on my shoulder. I wrap my arms around her, trying to keep her steady.
"Now if you have any trouble with anything at all, you know who to call, ok?"
"Okay. I love you."
Before I know it, she falls asleep. I smile and slowly lay down with her on my chest.
"I love you too, Mel."