origins

i've used links to genshin impact in this chapter.

&&&

  the two girls didn't see much of each other for the next few days. however it was always azula avoiding ty lee. whenever the acrobat got within a five metre radius of the princess, the younger left in a hurry. no matter how hard she tried, ty lee couldn't get azula to talk to her.

  it seemed as though another part of the princess had died.

  azula was trying her best to find the courage to even look at her girlfriend, but the scenes from the circus and the smell of burnt skin came back to her, and sealed her mouth shut and kept her staring at the ceiling or walls.

  the feeling of being once again lonely dug into azula's skin inch by inch, every day. she felt like everyone was looking at her, judging her, scrutinising her for what she did. because of this, she often broke down in her room, alone, crying on her bed. her eyes were constantly red and swollen.

  zuko gazed at his sister, who sat motionless on the floor below the sakura tree, eye glued to her book. it was like being in the presence of a dead person.

  "azula, i think it's time," zuko gazed down at his sister.

  the girl looked up from her book, an eyebrow raised. she stood up from the grass under the old sakura tree. "time for what?"

  "to go home."

  "why must we?"

  "you're the princess! and i'm the fire lord. we need to return home for business and to tend to the nation."

  azula bit her lip. zuko was right, they did need to return home for the nation. but she loved ember island, and hanging out with everyone. it felt so easy and carefree for her. she hadn't even thought about going home for her nation.

  "i guess..." she sighed and closed her book.

  "and i may have forgotten to tell you but father had put you on the list of candidates of trainees to become leader of our soldiers," zuko stated. "seeing as you're the princess and the most powerful firebender in the world, it should be easy to ace the assessments and course.

  "i would put you as commander without the training but the law states you must go through the programme nevertheless so i'm sorry."

  the princess gaped at zuko, the circus incident forgotten, and jumped up, hugging him. "i've always dreamed of being commander of the fire nation guards! it was like my second favourite job choice!"

  zuko widened his eyes and chuckled. "what was your favourite?"

  "becoming fire lord but of course, i can't because you're older... and a male."

   the fire lord sighed and put his hand on his sister's head. "it's okay. you'll make a brilliant commander. but you'll also have to take time off to tend to royal business too. and aang, and everyone else won't see us much."

  "you still get to see mai..."

  "that's because she's my partner!"

  "ty lee's my partner."

  "but she's a kyoshi warrior... plus, you haven't talked to her for a few days. doesn't make much sense that she's an earth kingdom warrior due to her actual nation not being earth but whatever works for her."

  "she should've joined the fire nation soldiers."

  "still wouldn't have made much sense, if i'm being real..."