What Will It Take?

Squidward walked home with a slump in every step... he was so tired... he hated staying late for a walk and of course it's only a Monday! A full week of pain and suffering to come, how is he even supposed to deal? Then there is Spongebob who won't stop nagging about that stupid luau, It's going to drive Squidward insane! The octopus grumpily unlocks his front door and quickly enters. He knows Spongebob will be arriving home anytime soon and he can't deal with him right now... he just needs a peaceful night, to relax, to let his mind rest. Squidward heads towards his couch before slowly slouching into the soft cushions, he grabs the TV remote and switches to the late night jazz channel.

"This will take my mind off that stupid luau..." Squidward grumbled.

Squidward wouldn't mind going... he knows there is going to be musical talent there! But... he just can't bear to go partnerless and bump into Squilliam only to be put down about every little aspect of his pathetic life. Squidward started to repeat the scenarios that unfolded today in his mind. Was that idiot sponge trying to ask him to be his partner?

"Stupid Spongebob..." Squidward lets out a small grumble. "Why would I go with him!? He... He would just embarrass me! With his stupid goofy grin... that childish like act... his whole... aroma... ruining my night! ... probably will try to dance... look like a stupid idiot- ... he will do that annoying laugh...and look at me with those big blue eyes... and be like 'oh Squidward isn't this fun?!' ... Ick! ..." Squidward's cheeks started to light up and he felt a pound in his chest...

"Heh, probably be kinda cute..." he froze.

"What am I saying!? Ack- get a hold of yourself..." He mutters and shakes his head.

The octopus lays down on his couch and turns to the TV... lately he has started to view Spongebob a bit... differently? Some things that he does... and says... have a different reaction from Squidward... his chest starts to pump, he feels his throat become dry... he also can't help but feel the slight bit of affection for the little guy... does he like Spongebob?

Well, he won't admit it to himself, he refuses, but... there was a big chance that's the case.

...

Spongebob was almost home. He looks up at the night sky and lets out a gentle sigh. "I can't stop thinking about him..." Spongebob muttered to himself.

"Maybe I should check on Patrick and take my mind off it all?" Spongebob told himself before passing both his and Squidwards home. He approaches Patrick's rock and gives it a gentle knock.

"Patrick? It's me! Spongebob... I came to check up on you!"

"Huh?!' Patrick sat up from his slump in the sand couch. "Spongebob? Come in!" Patrick adjusted his body with his hands and kept his leg elevated on the coffee table.

Spongebob enters.

"Hey buddy!" Patrick grins as he shoves a donut into his mouth.

"Hi Patrick." Spongebob took a seat on the floor crossing his legs politely, he didn't want to get in Patrick's way, he needed the space because of his leg.

"How was work?" Patrick asks.

"Oh... Good! ... Good..." Spongebob looked anxiously down at his hands that were gently placed in his lap.

Patrick sighed. "You haven't asked him yet, have you?" Patrick knows about Spongebob's crush on Squidward, it has been evident for years but only recently has Spongebob officially confirmed to Patrick that he does indeed like Squidward, lately Spongebob has been banging on about Squidward... it's all he talks about! After Patrick broke his leg he suggested to Spongebob to ask Squidward to be his partner at the luau... but as seen here, Spongebob hasn't got the courage to do so.