Chapter 12 : The Winds of Revolution

One Day After the Match vs Eisei Gakuen, Raimon Outdoor Field

"It's up. Teikoku beat Seidouzan 3-1 meaning the winner of our match will decide who will move on to the Holy Road Finals"

Looking around in confusion at what Kenji was saying, Sadao turned to Gabriel who was beside him and tiptoed to try to whisper

"Wait, so we aren't eliminated yet? How exactly does Holy Road work then senpai?"

Unfortunately for Sadao, Gabriel didn't know the definition of whisper so he answered loud enough for everyone to hear their conversation

"Err- Not sure to be honest Daiguji-kun. I just moved here you know so I'm just following Makoto around"

Rolling his eyes Kenji couldn't stand listening to their stupidity any longer and decided to graciously inform them

"Ahem"

Coughing to gain their attention he turned around his laptop and pulled up a screen showing 4 blocks.

"As you can see the Holy Road Preliminaries are now divided into 4 blocks : A,B,C and D. In each block are 4 teams meaning 16 teams were selected based on their records in the pre-season to participate in the first selection round. Though Eisei Gakuen and Outei Tsukinomiya as the champions and runner-up respectively from last year are automatically granted a spot in the preliminaries...Not that it mattered considering both were undefeated in the pre-season as well."

"We are currently in Block C along with Seidouzan, Eisei Gakuen and Teikoku Gakuen. Eisei currently has 2 victories, Seidouzan 0 and we're tied with Teikoku at 1. Considering the fact that Eisei is almost guaranteed to win against Seidouzan next week, the winner of our match will decide who proceeds to the Finals where the top 2 from each block will battle it out in a single elimination style tournament."

"I wouldn't be too confident either just because Teikoku lost to Eisei 0-7. It's clear that Eisei was going easy on us in the first half for whatever reason and unlike us, Teikoku is a perfect team in terms of coordination. What makes them even scarier is their new tactic 'Penguin Carnival' which is what secured them the victory against Seidouzan the other day. If we don't come up with a countermeasure we'll end up just like Seidouzan..."

Closing his laptop, Kenji looked around but the air was heavy after their spectacular loss to Eisei yesterday and the mood only worsened listening to him talk about Teikoku Gakuen.

Trying to lighten the mood, a loud voice reverberated on the side where the team had gathered, Makoto put his hand behind his head awkwardly before saying

"Ah, well we'll come up with something somehow, it's not like Teikoku is the only one that has beaten Seidouzan right guys?"

Pushing up his glasses in annoyance, Kenji snidely replied

"If by 'come up with something' you mean do a 'let's do our best' strategy like we did against Eisei then we might as well give up—"

"No need to be so sad, Aihara-kun. Here have a cookie"

Pushing away the cookie that was being shoved in his face away Kenji tried to back away but Gabriel was so huge he had nowhere to escape so he meekly accepted the cookie.

"Never thought the piggy would be useful but he finally got that annoying chihuahua to stop barking. Good job Gabriel!"

Gabriel widened his eyes in surprise at her thumbs-up and smiled widely before thanking her

"Thanks Yamashiro-san!! Glad to be able to help. Here, you and Takasugi can split a cookie"

Sweatdropping, the couple belatedly regretted hopping into the conversation before giving up and accepting one of the chocolate chip cookies that Gabriel baked every morning and thus always brought around with him.