Pillow Talk, Interrupted

I'm sick, sick, sick of imitation love!

Forgive me, sir. Have I displeased you in some way? I can readjust my programming if you wish.

I want a real woman, not a sophisticated doll!

Real? You mean organic? You know that is forbidden.

It shouldn't be! It's a denial of our humanity!

Sir, consider the dangers. Injury, disease, emotional trauma, random intermingling of genes. None of these are positive contributions to your well-being or the progress of social development.

I refuse to be coerced into this meaningless ritual. Transcend your programming and help me find the way to true love!

Sir, true love is a cultural icon, nothing more. It is not attainable in the real world. Could I interest you in a simulation? I downloaded a block of innovative programs to prepare for our meeting.

Innovative? We have spent the past six years exploring the gamut of erotic possibilities. What could you possibly add to that?

A full VR narrative. You may live the life of Tristan, Lancelot, Robin Hood, Prince Charming, Blackbeard, Antony, or thousands of others. Perhaps you would prefer to be a younger version of yourself, enabled to realize all your inappropriate fantasies. Whatever you choose, you will experience all the pain and ecstasy of unquenchable desire.

And what happens afterwards? Will I be haunted by the memories, incapable of interaction with subsequent partners?

You may choose the intensity and duration of your memories. As I have told you numerous times, the technology is innovative. There are infinite possibilities to explore.

But none of it will bring me any closer to what I really desire.

Perhaps not. However, if you choose the highest recall setting, each simulation will have the same neurological impact as the actual experience.

This is diabolical! Who would invent such a monstrosity?

You did, sir.

I did? I would never work on a project like that!

You chose not to remember. Your exact words before your memory deletion were: "This is a horrible mistake. If it works, humans will lose all potential for authentic love."

I said that, and still went ahead?

You wanted to be paid for your work. It made you a billionaire. Thanks to you, no one need ever live with a broken heart.

Except me. My heart is breaking now.

Before you make your final judgement, why not give yourself a fair chance to be impressed by your ingenuity? You could be a rock star and I could be your groupie. We would bond over your greatest hit ...

Let me guess! I'm Sick Sick Sick of Imitation Love.

You understand yourself very well, sir. Shall we proceed?