harry's sister || autism

@ requested

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

harry pov:

walking into the sitting room, y/n is trying to teach niall how to play solitaire. she's failing miserably. "hiya" she smiles, slapping nail's hand away from the stack of cards.

"what?! they are different colours?!"

"yeh... but the numbers go down in order, remember? 4 doesn't come after 7 in numerical order"

"god why are these rules so complicated?"

I sit over and flick my sister in the back of the head. "i swear you just made up this game"

"nuh uh, solitaire is widely regarded as the most playable solo card game"

"yeh, suuure"

I lean over and blow on the back of her neck, letting her know i'm there. niall keeps trying to play as I whisper in her ear. "you okay? your nails are starting to bleed a bit." she looks down and pick around her cuticles. "right, yeh. i'm okay"

why don't I believe her.

"i'm going to the store do you guys want anything?"

niall pov:

"hey y/n/n, do you want a tea or something..." my voice trails off, noticing that she isn't in the living room anymore. "uhm, y/n? where did you go?"

there is a door slam down and my brows furrow. "y/n, are you okay?" I don't get an answer. I skid down the hallway and catch myself on her bedroom door frame. I tap on the door, not wanting to intrude on anything. "y/n do you need help? should I call harry?"

I can hear a sob from in the room and I slowly open the door.

y/n is curled up under her duvet in the centre of her bed. it rises and falls with her fast paced breathing.

okay, harry told me what to do when this happens.

"okay y/n, it's okay." I walk over slowly, not wanting to startle her. "it's niall, your awesome friend. i'm walking over to you know yeh?"

I can hear muffled cries from under the blankets. I take my phone out of my back pocket and call harry. as the line rings, I sit on the end of her bed up by her pillows. I put my hand on what I assume to be her back and rub slow, steady circles. "it's okay y/n, i'm niall. harry's phone is ringing."

"hey niall! i'm glad you called me cos I can't find the coffee I like, is it the purple packet or the-"

"-harry?!" I whisper, cutting him off. "y/n's having a meltdown. she won't stop shaking and she's mumbling things but I can't hear them-"

"woa woa woa ni, take a breath. where are you in the house?"

"we're in her room, she's under the blanket"

"okay, pull it back and put me on speaker."

"she's crying when I try to take it off"

"yeh I know but you have to okay? it'll be easier for her to breath."

I slowly move the duvet off of her, furrowing my eyebrows as she whines. she is curled up on her side and her head is in her arms. her hands pull violently at her hair and I put harry on speaker so he can to talk to her.

"hi y/n/n, it's harry. i'm on my way home now okay? niall is there with you."

she whimpers and yelps as she pulls strings out of her hair.

"untangle her hair ni, she's hurting herself"

I snap out of a state and put the phone down on the pillow, letting harry speak to her. I really gently take her hands off of her head and pry her fingers out of her roots.

"it's okay y/n, your safe love. i'm 5 minutes away yeh? remember that niall is there for you too."

I remember that harry kind of holds her hands to his chest. right, the heartbeat thing. I take a really slow breath to slow my heart rate and hold her palms to my torso.

"i'm doing the heart thing but she isn't slowing down. how far away are you?"

"give her a minute, she needs to match your breathing. keep talking to her"

harry pov:

I swing the door open and race up the stairs. her bedroom door is open and I skid over. niall is sitting against the headboard. y/n's head is in his lap and her arms are crossed over her chest. her breath is shaky and her nose twitches. Ni is rubbing her shoulder. he looks up at me and smiles softly. "she's asleep" he whispers. I nod and kneel down to be at her eye level. I brush some loose hairs out of her face and hold the back of her head. her eyelashes flutter and she locks eyes with me. "hiya sis," I smile. "you feeling better?"

she gives me a very small nod but her face stays flat. she tries to sit up and whines quietly when she falls back down. "it's okay y/n/n, take a minute."

I look up at niall again and he helps her up by her shoulders. he slides out from underneath her and I swap places with him. "I've got you sis, have some more sleep okay?"

a.n.

bit shorter than usual

not having a great time atm but trying to keep updating