Part 1- Good Luck

A mild breeze sweeps through the small entry way of the bed and breakfast, carrying the fresh scent of early summer. The shoji doors are slid open, welcoming the wind, the sun, and guests into the small Japanese style bed and breakfast.

The walls are light and the wood trim is dark and the green garden is in full bloom as you stare through the side window, mindlessly stirring your breakfast. The cereal has long since gone soggy, but your mind is somewhere else entirely.

It sure would be nice if something interesting would happen once in a while. In all of your years living here with your family you could count on one hand, maybe two if you lower your standards, the number of times something interesting has happened at your little B&B.

"Mom, why does nothing interesting ever happen here?" You muse, resting your chin on your palm lazily.

"I don't know what to tell you dear." Your mom answers wearily, knowing isn't the first or last time she'll answer this particular question. "Why don't you take Chaewon for a walk or something?"

"She never wants to go anywhere, she just wants to play on her phone. All. The. Time" You whine, sliding down your forearm in a slump with your chin on the table. "She's probably gonna sleep til' noon anyways."

"You were like that when you were 15 too." She says, giving you the look. "You could take yourself for a walk, you know. That wouldn't be completely unheard of."

"I know, I know." You roll your eyes pushing away from the kitchen table. Glancing around first to make sure none of the guests have wandered down, drawn by the fresh pot of coffee. "I just wish we had more people my age, not all these old people."

"Y/n," she cuts in, leaning on her broom, giving you an exasperated look, "I know you hate it here, but people come here to relax for a while. And we are happy to have them, whoever they are..... Even if they are all.. Old. Please just make the best of it."

Glancing back outside, you look past the garden to the morning sun drenched rolling fields and the forest that lines the outermost perimeter.

It is going to be a very nice day... and a walk would be quite nice...

"Fine, I'm gonna go hiking." Giving a great sigh you put your bowl in the sink, and flop down on the step leading out the front door.

Leaning with a groan you drag your boots out of their place in the cubicle shelving and throw them on.

Your sorta ratty t-shirt and shorts will be fine for a walk all on your own. It's so early you doubt anyone else will be out, not that your clothes really matter for a hike anyways.

Tying your shoes tightly you grab your book bag and sling it over one shoulder. Picking a cute buttercup yellow bicycle from the rack of your rentals you swing a leg over and click it into gear.

"Okay just be home for lunch." Your mom shouts after you, already half way down the front path.

"Okay!" You call back over your shoulder.

The pedals under your feet almost spin on their own as you fly down the hill towards the trailhead unmarked nearest your house. Wind catches your hair, whipping it about your face wildly. It probably would have been a good idea to put it back into a hair tie, it's going to be a tangled rats nest now.

The ride passes quickly and the tree line draws closer. Hopping off of your bike you walk it over to the trees, laying it down in a bit of underbrush to hide it slightly.

Glancing back over your shoulder first, you hoist your bag a little higher and take your first steps into the woods.

The trail is narrow and overgrown with the fresh summer green of new leaves on long finger-like twigs that grasp out at your clothes and bare arms.